1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Home Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SKS1, May 3, 2020.

1. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

Hi All,

I hope that you're all well during this crisis.

I have a new headteacher, as the reading lead, she has asked me to 'have a look' at our home reading. I am curious to know what other schools do for the following:
    1. Do you use the Oxford Levels and Book Bands?
    2. Which reading schemes do you use? If it is a variety, have you matched them as closely as possible to the Oxford levels and book bands or have you created your own system?
    3. How do you record which home reading books are sent home/returned/read by each child?
      We currently have a reading file in each class, with a list of books within each book band for each child - we then highlight the title of books sent home, is this still common or outdated?
    4. Which reading records do you use for EYFS, KS1 and KS2? Are they the same/different?
    5. How often do you change home reading books? Does this change depending on which year group the children are in?
    Thank you for your time :)

Attached Files:

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

1. No
    2. RWI Book Bag books. No we don't link to the Oxford scale
    3.In EYFS/KS1 They link to the book they use in phonics lessons, so we don't keep a file as such. In KS2 all are free readers and choose from the library. Again no central record kept.
    4. We use reading records from TTS or similar. Just record date, title and comment. Parents use them more than teachers. Same throughout the school.
    5. EYFS/KS1 Usually once a week or slightly more, whenever they move on in their phonics reading group. KS2 as and when they finish their book.

1 person likes this.
  3. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. That’s very interesting, completely different to my school. Do you know of many schools that run the same way you do?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

All schools I know link reading books to phonic progress in EYFS and KS1.
    I don't personally know any schools that use a scheme in KS2, though some do.
    Certainly all I've ever known is basic reading records such that I described as being a record for individual readers.

What do you do that is so different?

5. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

We have spent so much time over the past 12 months organising home reading books, we use multiple schemes so we have linked each book (particularly for EYFS and KS1) to the RWI phonics and then with the oxford levels. It’s been a nightmare to be honest.

In comparison to what you have mentioned we may be micromanaging too much. We recently had an OFSTED inspection in March and it was checked by them. Thankfully, they agreed but I’m sure there’s an easier way than what we’re doing.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Nursery take home a book of their choice from a 'read together' selection. Reception and KS1 have book boxes for each book band colour and take home a book of their choice from the level they are currently reading - or one above or below. KS2 have completely free choice from their class library.

SKS1 likes this.
  7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Ours is pretty much the same as @caterpillartobutterfly, we send home a copy of the RWI book we are studying in class. They also choose one library book to take home. We have a school library slot once a week where they change their books.