1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Headteacher interview questions - let's share ideas!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Cliveuk, May 5, 2007.

1. I know I have what it takes to be a primary headteacher but after 2 interviews, I seem to fall down on talking the talk. Can we share questions we have had at Head interview and possible answer ideas? Here are a few.
    What is the difference between leadership and management?
    How would you safeguard Children?
    How would you initiate learning conversations?
    What is your understanding of a creative curriculum?
    What is the role of the Governing body?

I feel I answer these and other questions well but my feedback has been not showing understanding the difference between current role and headship role.

2. I know I have what it takes to be a primary headteacher but after 2 interviews, I seem to fall down on talking the talk. Can we share questions we have had at Head interview and possible answer ideas? Here are a few.
    What is the difference between leadership and management?
    How would you safeguard Children?
    How would you initiate learning conversations?
    What is your understanding of a creative curriculum?
    What is the role of the Governing body?

I feel I answer these and other questions well but my feedback has been not showing understanding the difference between current role and headship role.

irigodomopaschal likes this.
  3. Hello, had exactly the same problem. "You talk about what you have done at your School but not what you would do here" - a bit difficult when you dont know that much about the School. "You talked about the curriculum at yours but not how you would lead ours"- well tell me about what you do and I might be able to say something!
    My main problem was that the questions were hugely long and i didnt get all of them into my brain and it has now blocked them out- bad experience!
    None of mine were as straighforward as yours. apart from
    How would you deal with a behaviour problem?
    What do you see as the role of the Head?
    How would you use the parents round here to help you raise standards?
    What benefit would the children's centre have for the School?

Basically 101 questions about raising standards. Said involving different things so I got confused about what I had already said!

4. for questions - see theogriff's comprehensive list posted earlier and practise answering them out loud to yourself - years ago i had simialr list as potential deputy and although none of the questions were surprises, i did find saying answers out loud and then rephrasing in my head helped. In terms of getting to know school, read all available info on school - ofsted reports, profiles, sefs as well as visiting and then project what you would do - don't be afraid of being honest - if you've observed slack standards say so, if you've seen pockets of excellence, say so. Governors want to feel like you know their school. For DHT and HT it's even worth visiting more than once at differnet times of day - you're potentially committing a large proportion fo your life to a school so it's worth getting to know the place as well as you possibly can.