1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon1057, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Hey,

I have just graduated a physics (BSc) degree in Birmingham university. I am interested in Primary GTP (for a number of reasons) and I was just wondering the structure of it.

Is it different to primary PGCE?

Is it different to secondary GTP?

How long is it?

thanks. X

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sorry but i'd go for secondary physics. Always crying out for good physics teachers so you'd stand a better chance of employment.

3. Hi - latest news is that the GTP is being replaced. To get on the new course you need to be a career-changer, having worked in another career for 3 years post-degree. Look into it - you may not be eligible if you've just graduated.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training/gtp.aspx

4. Thanks for the advice.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just graduated BSc Physics? See Thread 2 below . . .
    This poster has changed his username over the last few hours from HasnainKhan to anon1057. Wonder why . . . Surely not just realised he's traceable from using his own name? Started some rather unusual threads . . .
    Thread 1 How often should I mark a subject's books. Every two week? 3 weeks? Slowly marking them? Or cramming them all in at the holidays? Thanks x
    Thread 2 Hey, I've just completed my PGCE on Primary Education and I was just wondering what happens in an induction year. Is it the same as a NQT year? Are you assessed. All details, would be AMAZING. Thanks in advanced. x
    Thread 3 What do/ can you do on Teacher Training Days?
    Thread 4 How do I become a head of a department? Do you have to have a degree in the subject? Do you get more money?(you may think I'm greedy- but I'm just interested.) Do I have to plan extra things aswell as my own classes lessons? Thanks in advance x
    Thread 5 What are the minimum requirement, qualifications and experiences on becoming a head teacher? What about a deputy head teacher? Details please. Thanks in advance.
    Thread 6 How much of the timetable do you teach as a (PGCE) trainee? Is it increased by the number of months you have been a trainee?
    There are more, but you get the feel . . .
    Now I could be a cynical old baldie and say that with this quality of student graduating from PGCE courses clutching their NQT certificate, no wonder I have on JobSeekers so many unhappy posters saying that they cannot get jobs.
    I wouldn't want to employ a NQT like this either.
    On the other hand, I might just take Middlemarch's view:

Best wishes