1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary GTP interview - Kingsbridge Consortium

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ash_dhanda, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi There, i just found out on thursday I have been invited for a first interview at Kingsbridge in Wigan for the primary GTP. I'm delighted!!
    So far I know that there will be a half hour literacy test followed by a half hour interview... has anyone been through this process with this provider and if so please can you shed some light as to what I should expect and also how i can prepare?
    I replied to their email asking for this information, it was just couple of days ago though, but I am really keen to get preparing as interview is 11th March and I aware this could be my only chance out of the five providers I've applied to.
    Thanks

2. Hi There, i just found out on thursday I have been invited for a first interview at Kingsbridge in Wigan for the primary GTP. I'm delighted!!
    So far I know that there will be a half hour literacy test followed by a half hour interview... has anyone been through this process with this provider and if so please can you shed some light as to what I should expect and also how i can prepare?
    I replied to their email asking for this information, it was just couple of days ago though, but I am really keen to get preparing as interview is 11th March and I aware this could be my only chance out of the five providers I've applied to.
    Thanks

3. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

I've got an interview with them too. Are you Primary or Secondary? I'm Primary. Was on their website yesterday and it says they had 291 applications for 16 places so we've done really well to get this far.

4. Hiya!! Yeah, I'm primary too and was also surprised when i saw their website... we have done extremely well to get through! The competiton for GTP is so high that i see this as my only chance this year so want to make sure i give this one everything i've got.
    Will post up if i hear anything back from Kingsbridge... thanks.

5. Hi Daruth - have you heard anything ion back from Kingsbridge re the interview yet? I called the number in the email, turned out to be for the course administrator who said she was unable to give me any information as she just send the confirmation emails - she did however give me the email address for someone who is more involved in the actual course, it's a yahoo email address so don't know if my message has just ended up in the junk folder... I hope not!
    I'll wait till tomorrow for a response before trying to chase it again - but overall, i'm just very disappointed that they've not thought to make information more readily available when they know people will be tense and clambering to try to find out more.
    My interview is next Friday so still time yet.

6. MonsterTeachingIdeas

Not heard anything yet either. Not even had an acknowledgement.
    What time is your interview? Mine is at 9 so I've got to be there for 8.30! Early morning for me.

7. Hiya...yesss, i finally heard back this week, but been stacked so sorry for not updating sooner!
    Feel so much better, it's doesn't seem like it'll be as gruelling as i thought, though i must say i still don't expect it to be a breeze, what with there only being 16 places!
    This is what they said:
    "The interview will be based around your reasons for wanting to become a teacher, your knowledge of the Primary Curriculum and your experience in schools so far. The Literacy Test is simply a piece of writing to look mainly at your spelling and grammar." (i'd asked if it would be like the literacy tests on the TDA website)
    I've read many of the other posts on here and seems there are some common themes in terms of what they might ask you... i would certainly say it would be useful to read around the Rose review in relation to the national curriculum and also the Cambridge review, if you google them you'll see lots of stuff come up. But have a read of the tips other people are giving, very useful.
    Plenty of reading to do!
    My interview is at 2:30 (3pm actual interview) next Friday... nervous excitement!
    Good luck with yours... it'll be an early start, so don't forget to be all bright eyed and bushy tailed!! : ) At least you can go and enjoy the rest of your weekend after 9:30, the rest of the day will be a breeze!
    Give it your all - you can only do your best.

8. Hi there - just wondering how your interview went?
    I'm interested in applying for the next lot of applications - when did you guys send your applications in? I want to get in there as soon as I can! Thanks!

9. Thanks for the advice - I'll definitely give it my all for the next intake!

10. neilhoultram

neilhoultram New commenter

Hey. Glad you found the interview went well. I had an interview too last Thursday. I was pleased with how it went - I think the standard is so high this year, I really can't decide if I did enough. I am hoping that they take everything into consideration, i.e. interview, experience, statement, references. I noticed that there are now 11 Primary places too (not ten) - thats one positive we can take. I wish you all the best. Let me know if you hear anything and I will do likwise.

11. neilhoultram

Hey. Just wanted to say Hi and wish you the best of luck! I went for the Kinsbridge interviews last Thursday. I thought they went well but I also know the standard is very high this year. I really hope we all get a place - to wait another year would be a major setback having worked so hard to get to this point. Hopefully we have done enough to get to the next stage - now I know how they feel on X Factor! Keep me updated on your progress and best of luck!

12. MonsterTeachingIdeas

Just heard today that I have been successful and progressed to the second stage. Am really chuffed as I thought the interview could have gone better than it actually did. Am waiting now for the school to contact me to arrange for me to go in for my observation. Have to prepare a 20-30min task with a literacy focus for 6-10 children (reading with the group then a follow up activity).
    Really nervous now as according to the task sheet, it's going to be sometime next week which isn't a lot of preperation time.

13. neilhoultram

Hi Ruth

Thats great news! Well Done! :) I haven't heard anything yet but I suppose no news is good news. My Head told me she had a reference request for me yesterday so maybe I will hear something soon. I'm really pleased for you, you must be delighted! Now for stage two! Good luck with the preparation, hope it all goes well.

14. neilhoultram

Maybe arrange to practice your activity with the Y3's in your school. Also ask the Y3 teacher at your school, I'm sure they'll support you. I can understand you panicking but I am sure you'll be just fine. I've still not heard anything - I'm thinking they may be waiting on my second reference, either that or they've forgotten about me! Willkeep you posted, in the meantime, best of luck with the prep!

15. MonsterTeachingIdeas

Yay! Well done Neil.
    Thanks for the good luck wishes. Nerves are kicking in now. Just want it to be over already. Hope the kids are nice and co-operative.
    Good luck to you too!

16. MonsterTeachingIdeas

Glad to here you think yours went well. Mine was okay. The kids seemed engaged and interested and were responsive etc. But like you say, it depends what they're looking for. I don't know if the lesson challenged them enough, but how can you plan to challenge children you don't know? People tell me I'm overthinking it, and they're not expecting it to be marvellous, cos we're not qualified...they want to see if we've got the skills etc to train up.
    I could see myself teaching year 3 actually, but would prefer to go younger if possible. (I would certainly have no desire to go any older) Do you know if the chances are we'll be at the school we were observed at? (Although having said that, there were 2 of us at my school, so if we both got in one of us would have to move.)
    So we'll see...I'm expecting it will be tomorrow or Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

17. neilhoultram

We can't do anymore than we have done, lets just hope and pray and keep everything crossed! Hopefully we will find out today or tomorrow at the latest. I'm not sure regarding schools - I think they have placed us with an age phase they feel is suitable to us, so if your observation was with Y3, the likelyhood is that they will place you in KS1 - all the partner schools seem nice, Platt Bridge was a lovely school, think it only opened a few years ago so the facilities are excellent. Hope it all works out for you - in the meantime, sit tight and stay positive! :)

18. I believe you have a main class for your gtp year but also have to have a period in the other keystage so KS1 or KS2 depending.
    Good luck. I have an interview at Chester on April 8th and am terrified. We have to do a maths, english and science test, a group activity, an individual presentaton and an interview. We have also been asked to bring a portfolio displaying any work we have undertaken with children. On the up side the letter says there is just one interview date so reckon done well to get this far anyway!!!

19. MonsterTeachingIdeas

Congratulations Neil.
    I was one of the unlucky 6 who didn't get a place but I've got a PGCE place to fall back on so I will still be doing teaching.
    Can ring them next Wednesday for feedback so will do that and act upon their recommendations.

20. I've been sucessful too! I guess I'll be seeing you there!!!