1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary French lesson help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missaks, Sep 27, 2019.

1. missaks

missaks New commenter

Hello I am due to teach a primary French lesson as part of a job interview and I am a secondary teacher so just wanted to know what I should be aiming to do in half an hour? I'm thinking no more than about 5 phrases, flashcards work, actions for the phrases etc. Should I be using a ppt or is it ok to just do manual things! Help!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it were me I'd tend to stick with 'manual' actual objects/ flashcards, just in case the technology isn't compatible/ working on the day of the interviews. Happened to a colleague, who fortunately had printouts to retrieve the situation.

5 different phrases? If the children don't already know them this might be difficult for primaries.
    I'd stick with one phrase- possibly adding the negative form and changing it round to make a question, depending on how the children respond, rather than different phrases.

bonxie likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Lara is right about the technology - it's almost certain to go wrong whenever you really need i! - and limiting the new phrases would be more likely to be successful.

Working in pairs asking for the time and responding might work well as they are likely to know the number words. If o'clock times are too easy, you could extend it to half past, quarters, five to/past etc or 24 hour clock times to bring in a bit of maths.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. missaks

missaks New commenter

It's about weather but I think they have already covered some so i thought I could pick about 5 of them and reinforce if they know them already. I assume at KS1 it mostly is oral work ..?

6. Lara mfl 05

I generally agree, although personally I still introduced them 'passively' to the written word, so they didn't start 'making up their own spelling rules' creating problems later on down the line.

if you're doing weather I'm presuming your using Il fait (other terms if not French)+ 5 different weather terms, which is a different matter to 5 different phrases.

7. missaks

missaks New commenter

What could I do as a starter in an interview lesson ? Should I just randomly brainstorm numbers or just introduce the topic?

8. Lara mfl 05

Well part of your 'starter time' in an interview consists of introducing yourself, so you only need a very quick starter.
    If it were me I'd use it as starter/intro and show them your flashcards of the phrases you'll be using during the lesson and asking them to guess which 'match up' A-to E to the phrases you say. They could do this at their tables and feed back with a spokesperson from each table.
    Means you can also assess whether they have any prior knowledge of the phrases, to enable you to adapt the next part of the lesson if needed.

9. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm sure Lara or bonxie will advise whether this suggestion is okay or not from a pedagogical point of view but a lot of primary aged kids seem to quite enjoy singing songs in the target language if you know any weather related ones (don't rely on being able to play from YouTube though as some schools ban it)...

10. Lara mfl 05

Absolutely no problem 'pedagogically' re singing and Primaries, generally, love singing. however from the point of an interview lesson and 'showing progress' perhaps not, unless it was part of a plenary using actions.