1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary French competitions?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by missaks, Jan 18, 2020.

1. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Hello I was just wondering if anyone had any good experiences of doing primary French competitions and could share ideas? Either within a school or inter-school, I am considering a quiz type event. Anyone done anything successful they can share?

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

You'll get more interest and replies if you post in the Languages in Primary Schools FB group :)

3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Yes, we used to do an interschool y5 quiz competition based on TV quiz show formats. Biggest nightmare was being able to adapt to if different number of schools made it/cancelled on the day which meant rejigging who played who att what game.
    Some games on language we sent them to learn (videos made by our international leaders), some on language they had time to learn on the day, some on general language facts (million pound drop works well for that), and some on language we imagined they might know. The y9 international leaders ran the whole thing.
    Getting the pupils there was tricky for some primaries. Parents often came, which made the audience.
    Some games all schools at once, some individual teams or head to head in breakout rooms.
    The chase, pointless, million pound drop and something else which I can't remember.
    Tech department made a trophy from an old TV remote sprayed gold and mounted. The winning school brought it back for next year. All pupils got certificates.
    Was great!!!

4. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Hello and thanks, that sounds great and a quiz is what i envisaged but making up all the different rounds is what would be the hard part for me. If there is anything you can share that would be great! Sounds like just the sort of motivational competition that young kids need!