1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary framework for maths and literacy... scrapped?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thehawk, Jun 28, 2011.

1. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

No curriculum now! We can teach whatever we want!

2. Not strictly true. The only thing that ever was and still is statutory is the national curriculum. The frameworks were there for schools that wanted to use them but they were no compulsory.

3. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Get a sense of humour!

4. Considering they were never compulsary, and more advisory for those that wished to follow them, im not entirely sure why they've scrapped them other than to give a middle finger to labour. They were one option to follow, and it cant hurt to have lots of options.
    I wish they'd stop playing games and just get on with the job.
    This whole "Teachers shouldn't be striking" thing is pi**ing me off too - are they deliberately trying to annoy the teacher population?

5. Exactly my point.
    I appreciate that the primary frameworks had their drawbacks, but it was a useful starting point. Why withdraw something when the current government have nothing to offer as an alternative?

6. If you like it so much just google the bits you need.

7. Its not that we particularly like it PFF - and it is still accessible in archives - but its more the principle that they have archived it without offering an alternative.
    Its all just game playing.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. The children in my class have no idea about word level and sentence level work due to the stupid text heavy focus of the literacy framework! And my head doesn't understand why I don't just to writing every single day. Sorry, but I have to teach this is how a comma works, this is a clause, a suffix. Not just this a report, a letter, etc etc.

9. The current government are not interested in being useful, helpful or interested in children at all. They are good at teacher-bashing and wasting money on academies, however.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

sadly, that has been the attitude to teachers since the mid-80's. Tories have been more virulent - mainly because the right-wing press loves to hate public services- but the labour years were a horrible disapointment to those of us who had hoped for a new direction and relationship.

11. Why ARE we hated by so many? Many of us dedicate most of our lifes to developing the learning of children! How can that possibly be something that induces hate, regardless of what the public perceive about holidays and pay.
    I could never hate a nurse - even if she worked few hours and was handsomely paid. I would just see that as perks to an otherwise tough job, and would have huge respect regardless. Why do teachers seem so different?
    This government are absolutely horrific, yet somehow a lot of the public are following them blindly. Do they not see that Cameron, Gove et al are just upper class twits?

12. Sadly, most people think back to their own school days and think that by sticking it to teachers they are somehow getting back at the teachers they had then. The fact that the profession has been totally overhauled has passed them by because they are not interested in what is happening now, they are stuck forever in 4B with Mr Hughes screaming his head off because one child forgot to hand in his homework!