1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary forums - would you like to see any more of them?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gailrobinson, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Primary is one of our busiest forums and we wanted to get your feedback on whether or not you think it's a good idea to open some new forums to cater for specific key stages or subjects.
    It would help us a great deal if you could take the time out to answer this quick poll and to offer your views in this thread.
    Many thanks for your time
    Gail
    If you cannot vote in the forums, please try this version instead
    [Poll]

2. Hi all,
    Primary is one of our busiest forums and we wanted to get your feedback on whether or not you think it's a good idea to open some new forums to cater for specific key stages or subjects.
    It would help us a great deal if you could take the time out to answer this quick poll and to offer your views in this thread.
    Many thanks for your time
    Gail
    If you cannot vote in the forums, please try this version instead
    [Poll]

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I can vote [​IMG] Is that because I'm on Firefox?
    I'm interested in the separate subjects idea, but it would have to be a select few - not much sense in having a Primary Art forum, for example, but maybe English & Maths. But *please* don't call them literacy/numeracy!

4. I can't vote either, I'm on safari. I'd like it to stay as it is. The other forums are pretty dead and I think splitting primary up would make it a lonelier place. I like reading about the whole of primary and don't want to click on several different forums.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I can't vote either, I'm on Google Chrome.

I like it as it is as well. Definitely don't want it split up. I like coming across things on topics I'd never normally find. Keeps it all interesting.

Keep as is!

6. Thank you to everyone who has voted so far. If you can't vote then just leave me a message on this thread. It's good to hear your views tafkam and Beestoni.
    We do plan to keep a general primary forum whatever happens but we wanted to find out if you think we should have any further specific forums for key stages or subjects.
    Please keep your feedback coming
    Gail

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

HUH!! :)

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Give her her due, minnieminx - you had only posted 1 minute before Gail, and she wrote quite a lot. There is just a slight possibility that your message wasn't there when she started writing hers!

9. inq

inq

I'm using IE8 but can't seem to vote.
    In general I'm happy with just the one forum as although I now teach in KS1 I have spent many (happy!) years in KS2 and it is good to see what people are discussing there too. A maths/ English/ other subjects may be useful but I'm not sure how much traffic they'd get. I think Primary is a busy forum because there is only the one, broad area where all things get posted.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would like to see two additional primary forums, one for KS1 and one for KS2
    I quite like having a Primary combined forum as one often likes to read
    across the subjects rather than when looking for a particular topic.,
    though it might be useful to separate KS1 from KS2.

I would like to see additional forums for primary subject areas (eg maths, English, science etc)
    Not particularly.

I am happy with just the one primary forum as it is currently (ie just one forum)
    Yes, definitely

I would like to see an additional forum where we can discuss curriculum issues,
    This would be useful as I often forget there's a curriculum area further down.
    [​IMG]I'm also using Firefox!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know, that's why I added the smile thing at the end, but it didn't actually print as a smile just as weird punctuation.

Only did it for effect, I did notice the time and assumed the same thing! :)

12. I'm with Beestoni. If you start splitting it up, then there will be less conversation. One of the reasons that it's interesting to browse is that there are so many different topics and views. Keep it as one. At the end of the day, a primary school teacher can be in KS1 one year and KS2 the next.

13. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Can't vote either but...
    No, no, no, no, no, no! Please, please do not add yet MORE forums! Primary is so popular because threads get responses due to the healthy flow of 'traffic'. More forums= less traffic= dead forums.
    While you're at it, get rid of Sport, Have Your Say and Entertainment and merge the Pregnancy and Baby and Toddler forums. What's the point in having a separate forum for something which only gets a couple of posts a week? What's the point in separating parents-to-be from parents?
    #rantybelles#

14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Hear, hear!

15. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I also agree.

16. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Can't vote, which seems a bit daft, but there you go, somebody went to all the trouble to make that voting thingy and it's useless.
    Anyway, no MORE forums, please, who has time to look at yet another one?
    Just leave it as it is, thank you.

17. I think Primary Literacy and Primary Numeracy forums could be useful but no more than that.
    As the primary forum is so busy it is often necessary to search through the forum if you're looking for something specific. I'd like to see a quicker and easier way to search forums than the current system. It is frustrating having each post on a thread coming up as a separate search result rather than having one result per thread and/or linking posts on the same thread together.

18. def wouldn't want a split into ks1 and ks2 - someone else has pointed out, we often move between them - i've worked in both at the same time and general queries on art, music, gat etc can often cover both stages

19. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

I'm happy for it to stay as it is ... def not a KS!/KS2 split.

20. And thank you to minnieminx too - I think our posts must have crossed in the ether
    Gail