1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary education jobs in Renfrewshire council

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by 0802327m, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    Has anyone heard anything about the teaching jobs in Renfrewshire? (Closing date 24th June) I have has one knock back email so far and was just wondering when I should here about the rest.

2. I know some of the interviews were yesterday - I am assuming the rest are this week, although like you I've had one knock-back email and silence on the rest. [​IMG]

3. The figure I heard on one set of jungle drums was 298 applicants for one post and I think that can be taken as accurate.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Snap. With the caveat that inspite of my loving teaching it might just not be enough, needs must and all that.

5. It was discussed here around that time - I remember because they were still offering extra loans as an incentive to train for Maths and English and that seemed at odds with what was said here.

6. Sorry, that sounds really unsympathetic. I actually meant to point out how slow the government have been in realising that there as a problem and not to suggest you should have known better. I expressed it very poorly!

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I never knew about the TES community until a few years ago. Even if I had know and read posts warning of the impending crisis to come, I'm not sure that would have stopped me applying for teacher training, it might have . . . . .. regardless, it's human nature, you just think it's never going to happen to you, that somehow you will be immune from casualty status.

8. I think that's true. I assumed I would get a job despite shortages because I've always been good at what I choose to do. When I first started thinking about teaching I found this place and read avidly - the Behaviour thread scared the bejeesus out of me - but I couldn't tell then what was reliable information and what was scaremongering or just an unlikely scenario.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

So which was which then - how accurate was it?[​IMG]
    On the jobs front, the signs have actually been there for about six or seven years that the Government got its sums badly wrong - it's just that it wasn't until last year's PGDE intake that they did anything about it (the total number was about halved, I think.) Certainly, when my wife was doing her primary PGDE about 6 years ago the stories were rumbling, and it was pretty clear by the time she finished her probation year that there was a real problem (she was one of the lucky ones though and got a job - in a different authority though.)
    The Government pre-2007 banked on a high number of teachers retiring, either early or normally, in predicting its numbers. It also looked at reducing class sizes, which inevitably meant more teachers. When the SNP came in in 2007, their policy of reduced class sizes would have required more teachers also.
    Unfortunately, what the Scottish Government forgot is that reduced class sizes also means more classrooms, as well as more teachers. The pre-2007 policy of gradually reducing class sizes meant that this could be addressed over time, but there was no provision for this from 2007; so local authorities, much as they might have liked to, simply weren't in a position to make the move to smaller class sizes as the money wasn't there to build or renovate classrooms. Then, of course, the banks went belly-up and there wasn't even enough money to pay new teachers.
    To some extent, what the Scottish Government is doing now is really what should have been done about four years ago, when the problem became blindingly obvious. It's fine for new graduates - and now the genie is out of the bottle it will be very difficult for the govt and councils to put it back - but there does need to be some help for those who don't qualify. This could be by prioritising them for supply over ex-teachers, using them for exam marking / invigilation, or even offering training and advice on careers outside of teaching if that's what they want or need to do.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I really like this idea but it sounds far too sensible, inclusive and caring to be introduced as some kind of 'after care' package or policy.

11. As far as I was aware, the jobs didn't go to probationers. I was one of the VERY lucky ones to get a permanent post and I'm not a probationer. I know of other people who also got posts and they were not probationers either. In fact, I know of a few probationers who were told they wouldn't get an interview due to 'inexperience'.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

So.....the recently "agreed" deal has fallen at the first hurdle.
    Probationers (now NQTs) have not even been considered for interviews.
    I'm sure though that supply staff wages will still be slashed.
    Are any unions monitoring the situation re the " guarantee" of sufficient posts for NQTs? (whether they end up getting filled by NQTs is another debate!)