1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Primary/Early years teaching in Australia - skills assessment

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by HappyPixie, Jan 23, 2012.

  1. For the WHV you only need to get your skills assessed for the state/s you want to work in, in order to register with that state/s teaching register board (or the specific equivilant in each state/territory - they are all called something different). You don't get them assessed by either of the places you name - AISTL is for migration purposes only (ie in order to get a perm. residency visa).
    Which state do you want to teach in? You have to get separate registration with each state/territory - basically think of Oz as several separate mini countries rather than areas of the same country when it comes to Education at the moment, much like the European Union and France, UK, Germany etc.
    Google 'teacher registration board' or similar and the state/territory you want to go to, and you should find the relevant board for the state you want to go to - use the info on the website on how to register with them, which will enable you to teach in that state. For eg - in SA you need to get your qualifications assessed by them first, then do your first aid and child protection training (one day courses), and a police check (not a CRB, an ACRO from the UK if you have been in Oz for less than 12 months) and then you can register with them. They quote 6 weeks for the skills assessment, but it varies (on the way the wind is blowing it seems lol) - you can get the skills assessment done from the UK, but it costs lots as you need to get your certificates etc certified by a solicitor/JP or Notary, all of whom charge the earth and you need loads of docs sent off. If you wait until you get there you can get them certified for no charge. Different states will be vastly differen, so you do need to look into this for the specific state you want to go to.
    You will only be able to work with any one employer for 6 months though,(and also have the extended health checks I believe for the WHV), and I've heard, depending on where you want to go, you will find it hard to get work on WHV, especially your partner (there is not a shortage of primary teachers in oz really, especially in Metro areas) - I have heard in some places people haven't even been able to get relief (supply) work on a WHV, due to a variety of reasons (have spoken to 2 people in Melbourne who have had issues with that - admitedly not a huge pool of research, and don't know if there were any other issues there they weren't letting on about).
    If you are going on a WHV be prepared to take on other types of work as well, (again depending on exactly where you are planning on heading to - anything other than Metro will be a lot easier, but obviously will have more transport issues).
    Good luck, hope that gives you a starting point.

  2. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter

    Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

    We are thinking of teaching in NSW - Sydney inparticular.Do you know if you need to get your skilled assessed to teach in a nursery/pre school?

    If you get your skils assessed in Australia (NSW) do you need to wait 6 weeks for them to be assessed?

    My friend is currently living and working in Sydney and she works in a nursery. She didn't seem to find it difficult to get work in nurseries. Although I do appreciate that this might not be the case for everybody. Have you heard anything about Sydney to suggest that this may not be the case?

    You don't happen to know anymore on the ACRO check do you as I've never heard anything about it?

    Many thanks,

  3. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    I've just come on a WHV and skills were assessed (for Secondary) by NSWIT (New South Wales Institue of Teachers) they needed my transcripts for my degree & my PGCE as well as ID for the 100 point check.
    Not sure about Early Years/Nurserys though. I imagine you'd need something but not sure what, sorry! x
  4. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter


    Is that the only skills assessment you had? Did you not have any assessments with any of the agencies i mentioned earlier in the thread eg aei-noosr?

    Do you know roughly how long it took to apply (is it a long process)?

    How long did it take you to get registered with NSW Institute of Teachers?


  5. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

  6. For a WHV you <u>will not need your skills assessed by AISTL</u> they <u>only</u> assess for migration purposes, for eg a PR visa etc, you are not migrating, you are having an extended holiday there, whilst doing the odd bit of work to help your funds.
    I haven't heard of any teachers having anything to do with aei-noosr, not even those teaching in ACT, so would think that has nothing to do with teachers anyway, but very much not teachers on a WHV in NSW.
    Can't help with NSW specific information, I am SA, you will have to look on their own website/call them and find out directly.
  7. Hi Happy Pixie,
    I am just going through the process of applying for my 176 visa sponsored by SA, would it be OK to email or PM you and ask some more questions about teaching in SA? Many thanks in advance. I am moving from the Middle East where I have taught international British Curriculum for 4 years as well as some time teaching in the UK before that.
    Best wishes
  8. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter

    Thanks for the info guys! Seems clear as mud at the moment! lol
  9. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    Its dead easy, lol. Just click the link I gave and register :)
    (you need your flights booked and your WHV number though)
  10. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter

    Ok thanks! I didn't know they needed that info! Hadn't quite looked yet!

    Any ideas how long it took for them to confirm you were registered? Just trying to figure out timescales as I haven't applied for the WHV and bought flights etc.

  11. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    It took a while but was partly my fault. I sent them copies of my degree and PGCE certificates but they wanted my transcripts which I had to re get from Uni. Once they had them it probably took about a week.
  12. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    In Aus people can register to be JP's. In the UK I think its like a doctor or lawyer etc..?
    They need actual TRANSCRIPTS (not the pretty certificates) OR copies that have been authenticated by a JP.
    It mashed my head for a while too [​IMG] x
  13. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter

    Hi littlemissraw,

    I'm looking into "applying to teach" and it's mashing my head a bit again! :( haha.

    I am trying to figure out if I need to apply to teach with both (separately) :
    the NSW Department of Education and Communities - https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/eat3/welcome.do
    NSWIT - NSW Institute of Teachers

    I read your earlier posts today and it seems you just applied on the above website and the NSWIT contacted you as part of the process.

    Is this correct? Sorry if I'm asking you things I have already asked ya?!?

  14. littlemissraw

    littlemissraw Occasional commenter

    I applied to the above (teach NSW) website then at some point in the process it was mentioned I needed to contact NSWIT too to approve my qualifications.
    They then gave me a number to give to teach NSW to finalise my approval.
    Hope that makes sense! [​IMG]
  15. upforoz

    upforoz New commenter

    Hi HappyPixie,

    Our plans have changed as they inevitably do! We are now wanting to head to SA and in particular Adelaide.

    I know you've said your from SA and have give us lots of information. Is there anything else we should know?

    We are wanting to base ourselves in Adelaide and hopefully get jobs as I have previously stated on here.

    Do you know who we need to get registered to teach with? I think you mentioned that it could take around 6 weeks to sort out. I was surprised to re-read that they charge for this process. Do you have any idea of the costs involved?
    Many Thanks, upforoz
  16. Hi,
    We are also looking at SA and especially Adelaide - HappyPixie our visas have arrived!! :) We have 5 years to use them but any info on registering in SA to teach etc. gratefully received. We are on a 176 visa sponsored by SA. Many thanks in advance. XX

Share This Page