1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary DT - the future

Discussion in 'Primary' started by primarydtideas, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi All
    I am a freelance consultant currently researching the needs of primary D&T teachers. I appreciate that this can be a diffucult area of the curriculum for primary teachers to tackle. I would like to understand the main barriers primary teachers have for teaching D&T in their schools to its full capacity and suggestions as to how this could be addressed? Are there concerns for D&T primary in the impending curriculum review?
    All comments, suggestions weclomed to aid me in my research. Comments will only be used as basis for further research not to be quoted.
    Much appreciated,
    Vanessa

2. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

I think I'd like a book a bit like the Scholastic Science books (Living Processes, Materials and their Properties etc). It would be divided up into Structures; Textiles; Food technology (probably) and then with progression of the FPTs you need to teach - for example all the different ways you can make a hinge - then linked to a project. I love teaching DT but do see why other people don't always know what they should be teaching (and I've lost the sheets I had about hinges from last time I did houses with Yr 2)