1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary DT help - Alarms!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by uppereastside, May 23, 2011.

1. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

I am going to be doing this unit next term. I've done most of the planning but am now thinking about the end when they make their alarm. I have some of the switches they could make and use (mostly push ones) but can't really figure out how this would work if it were a 'burlgar alarm' as someone would just pick the object up they were trying to get?
    Has anyone every done this/have any pics/or general ideas about how the finished alarm should be?
    Thanks for any help!

2. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

I am going to be doing this unit next term. I've done most of the planning but am now thinking about the end when they make their alarm. I have some of the switches they could make and use (mostly push ones) but can't really figure out how this would work if it were a 'burlgar alarm' as someone would just pick the object up they were trying to get?
    Has anyone every done this/have any pics/or general ideas about how the finished alarm should be?
    Thanks for any help!

3. Never done this, but have done alarms with push to make (PTM) switch. These tou can make using tin foil and they become a pressure switch. The alarm is then protecting a door or a window, not an actual object. The problem with them is that they do not 'latch' ie, as soon as you get off the pressure pad, the alarm will stop, but for primary I would expect this to be datailed enough.

4. oops

you not 'tou'
    detailel not 'datailed'

5. Can't even correct my mistakes properly!!

6. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I need a little more info really, are you making an intruder alarm to protect a place? Or an alarm to go off if someone moves an object? Also, what are you using for a sound output? And whats the budget like for it or is it to be made from stuff you've already got?