1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary deputy head?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by oliverferret, Feb 19, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I have got to the stage in my career where I am thinking of where to go next. I am half way through an MA in Education and I am currently EYFS phase leader, but would like to apply for assistant head or deputy head roles. However, all of my experience (except teaching year 3 about 15 years ago) is in EYFS or KS1 within infant schools. Will primary school heads seriously consider my application or am I being unrealistic?

2. oliverferret

I have got to the stage in my career where I am thinking of where to go next. I am half way through an MA in Education and I am currently EYFS phase leader, but would like to apply for assistant head or deputy head roles. However, all of my experience (except teaching year 3 about 15 years ago) is in EYFS or KS1 within infant schools. Will primary school heads seriously consider my application or am I being unrealistic?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have a similar , although opposite problem. I have taught every year group from Reception to Year 6 and am currently a member of the SLT. However I have only ever taught in one school! I would like to gain experience in another school but realistically, on UPS and with a TLR, would only be considering management roles. Would my lack of experience in other schools be a total barrier for progression to AH or DH?

4. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Teaching across the primary age range doesn't mean having a class in each year group. You may have experience in other ways as a subject leader for example or covering classes for different reasons. Guess it depends on the school and their needs.

Deputy Head is a great job ;0)

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It is but it's very challenging and you need to consider your impact across the school and your previous leadership experience. You will need to be confident to observe and give feedback across all 3 key stages, and to teach across all 3.
    Also bear in mind that by applying for DHT you're effectively saying you're ready to lead the school come what may should the head be run over by a bus tomorrow ( I know people who've found themselves in this exact situation).

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

My Head is taking up a secondment for the last half term of this year before retiring so, unless we can find a new Head for then, I will be taking over[​IMG] ( Small school so no Deputy or Assistant, just me!) which will be good experience! Assistant and Deputy posts round here are as rare as rocking horse droppings, so I will just need to keep a look out!

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's good experience though. I did exactly that many years ago and I'm sure it helped when I went for my first dht role ( I'd already secured the interview before I'd done the acting head). It gave me lots of first hand experience to talk about.

8. oliverferret

This doesn't phase me - I think I'd be up to the challenge.

Another question - I'm in my mid 40s have I missed the boat age wise?

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I wouldn't necessarily go for a sideways move, but I'd look for opportunities to work cross phase. Are there any projects school wide that you could lead on?
    I found the Senco role useful for working school wide. Also the assessment co ordinator role gives you a good overview.
    If you can't take these roles on could you shadow them? How about asking your head fir the opportunity to cross phase teach a subject, or team teach?
    Alternatively, why not ask to do joint obs in ks2 with the head, as part of your own professional development?

Age wise, personally I don't think it matters, for me it's always the best person for the job. Other heads might think differently. Do you want to work for a head who equates quality with youth? I wouldn't!

A good tip for preparation for the DH role. Imagine yourself in the role, say 2 weeks in, the head is run over by the proverbial bus, ofsted call. What do you panic about ( first)? They're the things you need to actively seek experience of. Good luck!

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Hopefully not as I'm in my 50's! ( late entry to the profession!)
    Ok, so I've taught every age group, I'm SLT, maths co-ordinator ( so observe lessons across the school) and MAST teacher, assessment leader, Community Cohesion co-ordinator, TA manager and 1001 other things ( as well as Staff Governor!) so have just about covered every angle I can think of , all I have to do now is find a vacancy[​IMG]

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I do KS2 SATs marking and also KS2 1:1 tuition, which may be worth considering to get experience in KS2 without having to commit to a whole year in a year group you are not happy with.

12. Well that is really a good experience. A similar thing occured to our school. Our head was about to retire and no one else could take the position but one faculty that is really good.