1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary D&T Resourcing

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by elsonj, Feb 5, 2020.

1. elsonj

elsonj New commenter

Hello,

I am leading D&T at my school, it is currently budget time so I need to get my requests in.
    Previously the school has not really taught D&T or it has been extremely simple - this means that we do not really have any resources!

Please could you let me know what your staple D&T items would be to have available for your school?

So far I have asked for some junior hacksaws, spare blades, hammers, nails etc

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Those resources would only resource one part of DT. What about the Textiles element, or the Graphics, or Electronics. . . . . .?

Really much depends on what projects you wish to do and often a 'project' can cover a couple of those areas.
    I used to divide my D & T into Electronics / Textiles / Resistant Materials / Food and Nutrition / Graphics and try to cover those alternately over 4 years. I built up resources year by year depending on what was needed in my projects. Then when they came to 'revisit that area we already had some of the materials from their previous experience. i e start with your Year 3 /4 requirements first and those same resources will be able to be used by yrs 5 & 6.

It's remarkable how many 'free' resources such as cooking utensils and items you suggest can be provided from secondhand shops/ home whereas electronical components really need to be bought in.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A few ideas for Key Stage 1:
    split pins, sticky tape, glue, string, staplers, hole punches (for making joins)
    pre-cut cardboard wheels
    wooden sticks (for axles)
    lolly sticks (for levers)
    junk modelling materials

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Bryson6

Bryson6 New commenter

Pencils /paper/isometric paper/card/foam model board/acrylic/hand files/emery cloth/sand paper/adhesives... Glue guns.... Steel rulers....
    Colouring pencils..... Prit stick...... Coping saws....

Have u any idea of what u plan to do...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter