1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Curriculum Knowledge...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by greasychipbuttie, Aug 9, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

hi all,

Having been offered a place I now what to start building my confidence and knowledge of the primary curriculum.

I’m not going to lie, I had to really revise to past the skills tests and being nearly 40 the methods taught these day and the terminology is all brand new!

I’ve purchased a couple of grammar books to help me, and will for numeracy but any other ideas of what I can read to help me?!

Literally starting from scratch and can just about cope with a verb or noun but doesn’t take long for me to struggle and I worry if my first placement is YR5 or 6!! (Or even 3!!!)

Thanks

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Have a look at the appendix of the NC for the grammar elements listed by each key stage.

There are some great books called Jump-start and they give practical ideas to teach grammar. It may help you to remember the word classes.

I taught prepositions through preposition pictionary on YouTube and there are some really good photos online to create own preposition word banks.

There are some brilliant posters on ****** for word classes which give examples of each. Print the relevant ones for your class and display them in your classroom.

Try to teach the grammar in context, for example imperative verbs when teaching instructions, time conjunctions for reports etc. Imperative verbs are 'bossy' verbs, so a picture of Little Miss Bossy always helps.

YouTube is amazing for songs for different grammar concepts.

Grammar should be fun!

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

If it's subject knowledge you are trying to improve, have a look at what is produced for ks2 and ks1, e.g
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zhrrd2p

You'll cover quite a lot on your course around maths and English though. What you will probably find is little on the other subjects. Try and improve your knowledge of these. Computing for example as way too many primary teachers don't know how to teach it.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

CGP publish a range of excellent KS2 revision and study books which are directly linked to the NC - I would suggest you start there.