1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Computing Curriculum Scheme...help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s_iqbal4, Sep 23, 2019.

1. s_iqbal4

s_iqbal4 New commenter

Hello all,

I am new to Primary teaching, I wanted to ask you all lovely people out there to share some words of wisdom about Primary Computing Curriculum.

I have search high and low for a ‘decent’ computing scheme for our school to follow (money is tight and time is limited).

At the moment, I am a blank canvas and any thoughts / suggestions would be great, anyone who has access to any of the schemes they currently use are useful, please share any links, names or any clues would be great!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

2. flumps103

flumps103 New commenter

We use the Rising Stars computing scheme and whilst it isn’t perfect there is good progression, resources to support each unit, recommended software to use which is usually free and widely available, and the units are engaging on the whole.
    We’ve topped up with our own online safety scheme of work and a skills progression to ensure essential IT skills are also taught - PowerPoint, word etc.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We use Switched On Computing, but I couldn't tell you if it's any good. I always give Computing to the PPA teacher, because I can't understand most of it.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Scratch! It's free and it's great. My present school uses it a lot with the primary students.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Book yourself on to one of the NCCE outstanding teaching of computing courses which will either be free of your school is in a category 5 or 6 area or a nominal cost. You shouldn'teed any of the books out there. Have a look at cas progression pathways out Sheffield councils progression document to see a break down of learning.

6. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Have a look at Knowsley scheme of Work - there are two versions - one paid and one free. The free one will give you a start and it comes with the resources

7. robertpokorny

robertpokorny New commenter

Great suggestions above. I have experience of using Risings Stars' Switched on Computing which I enjoyed. As others have said in terms of coding there are lots of great resources out there - although this is only part of the curriculum. E.g., Scratch resources here are brilliant and very adaptable http://code-it.co.uk/scratch/scratchplan

Most of the Computing schemes out there are listed here should it help with browsing; https://www.schemesupport.co.uk/computing