1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary - Children's Books

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gaudium, Jul 19, 2011.

1. As part of the pre course reading/tasks I was sent as preparation for my Primary PGCE in September, I was given a list of childrens authors from which I should read at least 5 books (not per author - just overall, to build up a library).
    I live in a rural county, and our local libraries are only open 8.30 - 5.30pm weeekdays. I work in a totally different county an hour's drive from home, and as such am out of the house from 6.30am to 6.30pm.
    Therefore, as I will have to buy as opposed to borrow these, does anyone have any recommendations, to avoid wasting money? I'd quite like to start building up a collection to cover KS1 & 2 fairly equally, if possible.

2. Excellent - schools I have been in still use these too, but none of the oldies were on my reading list so I wasn't sure if I should bother getting my childhood copies from my mum's.
    Should have listened to my instincts when I was up there last weekend!!!

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Can you get out at lunchtimes or on a Saturday morning to a charity shop? You'll find lots at bargain prices and the chance to flick through before buying.
    Or do you have any neighbours or family with children who would be willing to lend you some?
    Can you ask family to buy you a Kindle as your starting PGCE gift and download free copies of classics?
    Without seeing your list of authors it's hard to make suggestions. Roald Dahl (Maltilda?) & Michael Morpurgo (Kensuke's Kingdom?) spring to mind, plus Julia Donaldson (Room on the Broom) & Giles Andreae (Giraffes Can't Dance) for rhyming picture books.

4. No, these suggestions are great - thank you. The advice on the picture books is most gratefully received!
    My OH is currently working weekends in preparation for our year on half income and thus has the car, but I shall see if my dad can run me into town this weekend. Our nearest town has a lot of charity shops, so that's a fantastic idea.
    Oh - and a lunch break, in the private sector? You must be joking!

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm at a privatised utility firm but lucky enough to be in an office very close to the town centre. Popping out for 20 mins at a time to the charity shops has recently yielded me loads of books. I think a local primary teacher retired & had a clear out - same name in lovely script in books on ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians for £1 each and several Jacqueline Wilson's (recommend her for KS2) for 50p.
    Now I'm off to raid the stock room for a few more biros and post-its for the secret stash... ;-)

6. Glad I'm not the only one doing this! I have a cupboard full at home......I like to call it recompense for nearly 3 years of 10 hour days!

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

A few ideas for KS1:
    Emily's Legs by Dick King Smith

The Legend of Spud Murphy by Eoin Colfer

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown

The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy

The Diary of a Killer Cat by Anne Fine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

Iron Man by Ted Hughes

8. Hi gaudium,
    I start a primary PGCE in Sept as well. I don't know how long your list is but is there any chance that you would be able to post the names of a few of the authors please? We're also supposed to be aware of children's literature but haven't had any guidance yet, so I have no idea where to start!!

9. Morning! If I get a sec today, I'll pull up the reading list and post them on here. Best all help each other out - you never know when you'll need help yourself!!

10. I'm starting a GTP in September and have to do a similar exercise. I polled some advice on here and on Twitter and the following names came up:
    Roald Dahl
    Jacqueline Wilson
    The Horrid Henry series
    The Mr Gum series
    The Daisy Meadows series
    Anything to do with Underpants or Aliens (or combination of the two)
    Classic pictures books, especially Julia Donaldson
    Full details on a thread called "What Do Year 2 Read?"
    Hope this helps and good luck all
    Clive

11. Ah thanks, that's a good list to start with :) I've also noticed that Diary of a WImpy Kid seems to be quite popular? I'm glad all the old classics are hanging in there too though!

12. This is something that I found useful to get a glimpse of what may be
    used in teaching. It's a list of book suggestions to use alongside the
    Literacy Framerwork, which has since been taken down by the government.
    Even so, it provides a good snapshot of books one could read, and I personally doubt that the material suggested for study will change that much once the National Curriculum is revised.

https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6030304
    During my observation placement, I noticed that Horrid Henry and Diary of a Wimpy Kid seemed
    to be very popular, especially as far as boys are concerned. The works
    of Michael Morpurgo are particularly promoted at the moment, as are
    those of Julia Donaldson (no doubt influenced by her post as children's
    laureate). As far as established authors and titles are concerned, Roald
    Dahl's books are still as popular as ever, and I also noticed that Alice in Wonderland seems
    to be a bit more popular these days than it did when I was a kid back
    in the 90s, with renewed interest being no doubt fuelled by the Tim
    Burton film (I remember being one of the few people in my class who read
    both Alice books, and I remember the headmistress stated
    casually in an assembly once that she didn't like it). Classic fairy
    tales, fables and legends are also worth noting (I got this edition and
    its sequel for a young relative:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairy-Tales-v-Classic-Collection/dp/184089444X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311431300&sr=8-2).
    I also noticed when I was observing that the Usborne Young Reading
    books, a series of lively retellings of classic stories, are quite
    commonly used. I think they also act as good introductions to lengthier
    books for kids towards the end of KS1, as whilst they contain lots of
    pictures and the texts aren't too long, they are divided into chapters
    nonetheless.