1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary assessment

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by misslingo, Aug 27, 2020.

1. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Hello, does anyone have any or know of any good methods of assessment for primary FRench or Spanish? I mean an actual test or something, I know of the Language Magician, but it is so hard to prove substantial progress with no means of assessment. Any ideas?

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Assessment doesn't have to be a test. My KS2ers are tested regularly in English and Maths, so I don't add to the burden by testing them formally in Spanish. My Scheme of Work has "I can" statements attached to it. These then become my lesson objectives, and I assess the children using them. Each time a child achieves one of the objectives (it might be speaking in class, writing, any of the skills) I scribble their name down on my little clipboard, and then periodically transfer all the information to my spreadsheet. The children also get a green "objective achieved" stamp in their book.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Yes this sounds like a good plan. Did you make your own scheme of work, I am currently looking at the Lightbulb Languages SOW which looks good but as I am introducing to YEars 5 and 6 to start with, I am going to cut some of the content out and condense it

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Are you looking at French or Spanish? I wrote the KS2 Spanish scheme and resources that are on Light Bulb Languages and adapted their French scheme when I taught French

5. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Amazing! It is perfect but as I said I have to adapt for teaching over 2 years, thanks so much for that. I could only find the Pdf version though so cannot edit easily.It is for Spanish as FRench is already established.

6. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Also great idea about the stamp to say objective achieved and will be adopting that

7. misslingo

misslingo New commenter

Although with the new virus rules not sure we can mark and stamp as we would like to..