1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Art/DT syllabus outlines. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by roberto, Jun 3, 2019.

1. roberto

roberto New commenter

Whole School role in new school. Looking forward to taking on the challenge of teaching primary art and dt. Experienced secondary DT teacher but need some pointers directly or via web references (or even books!) for creating YR1 to YR6 syllabus based on child development milestones in art.
    Plenty of ideas for projects but need guidance to enable me to plan them in terms of skill development and complexity.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Valdek

Valdek New commenter

Hey Roberto.

At our school we currently use the Art and Design in Suffolk scheme of work. It seems to cover a lot of the skills and artists, as well as providing example resources and plans for the whole of KS1 and 2. However, for various reasons, I've been looking for a new scheme for my school too. I feel that some of the topics lack a threat running through them and the coverage of artists appears to be quite random and uneven too.

I'm very interested in the new scheme from Bloomsbury Education, but as it's quite expensive, I am hoping to get some feedback from a school that has tried it first.

This is a really good website for comparing some of the schemes out there at the moment. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of choice for schemes that properly cover planning for KS1 and 2!

https://www.schemesupport.co.uk/art

Hope this helps!

3. Valdek

Valdek New commenter

Oh, and I forgot to say - we use the Nuffield DT scheme which works really well. We suppliment it with a couple of modules taken from other sources, and I'm in the process of exploring modules that focus more on CAD CAM which has proven to be a challenge due to how quickly technology and software / apps change and how little money our school has!

4. roberto

roberto New commenter

Hi Valdek
    thanks for the suggestion. I have just found NSEAD online which seems to be just what I want in terms of structure and progression guidance.

http://www.nsead.org/curriculum-res...ART_AND_DESIGN_DFE_NSEAD_combined_version.pdf

It's a shame that there are no previews for at schemesupport so an informed choice can be made before parting with the cash.
    I'm looking forward to the chaos that I expect to accompany introducing coding to primary kids. Just going to dive in and see what works.
    Thanks again. Have a good summer break.

bonxie likes this.
  5. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

We successfully use the Suffolk scheme and often just change the focus artist if we want a better fit with our Topic work.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.