1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary and Secondary Maths - What makes a good book?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by RonaldMcDonald, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hello Forum,
    I have been asked to research the Singapore Math's method's for learning Math's. For those of you who are not familiar with this basically Singapore's students have a proven track record of learning maths successfully, and a lot of this success is accredited to very creative and abstract approach to teaching the subject.
    I am a teacher in a Further Education College so I am aware of the challenges in experimenting with different ways of teaching the same subjects. Personally I like to have teacher books and accompanying documents that link schemes of work and learning aims and objectives to the students text.
    I'd really like to know what you think makes a good text book for Primary/Secondary students.

1) What makes a good maths text book?
    2) What are you looking for when adaopting a series of texts for your learners?

If you can take 5 minutes to think about what makes a good text for your learners it would be a massive help. The 'Singapore Maths Method' has already been implement in some private schoole here, but I am trying to think about overcoming the barriers to teaching this way in mainstream schools.

2. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

Clear examples.
    Lots of practice exercises.
    Extension questions clearly marked as such.

3. Look up this Hungarian based scheme (they're pretty successful in Hungary, I gather). Done as a research project by University of Plymouth, I think, and with complete planning and resources - so complete that you'll never get through everything that's in there for one session. Demanding, too. Everything available free, online, and linked to UK curriculum. We're using it in our school and are hooked.

I've put a link on this page:

http://www.reall-languages.com/Reall_Languages/Maths,_KS1_and_KS2.html