1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary 4 ...

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Mar 3, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am waiting to hear If I have secured myself a p4 post. I am a newly qualified teacher and do not have much experience of this age. I was looking for some advice to topics or anything I can be planning orthinking about whilst I wait to hear...thanks.

2. Hi Teacher16
    It's me again. Guess what, I am currently teaching a P3/4 class so feel free to pick my brains if you want. So far this year I have taught topics on the Egyptians and Scottish Inventions and Discoveries am hoping to work on Minibeasts in the final term.
    Babette

3. Hi, I am a probation teacher who got a P4 class. I had never taught this stage in my training, so was a bit unsure too when I started. I was given some reassuring tips so will pass them on!

Firstly alot of the groundwork for maths concepts have already begun, they should have already done x tables and division to at least 2,5 and 10 x tables, so you are just building on this. Same with many other maths concepts too, such as fractions and time.

Secondly, VCOP knowledge is already there so you do not need to go through explaining what is meant by vocabulary, connective, punctuation and openers, you are just building on the bank of knowledge and stretching them.

I began the year with a class novel 'Flat Stanley'. It was a great book to gadge their reading levels and loads and loads of activites that support it. There are tonnes of teaching ideas online. How they coped with the book study determined reading groups and got me settled into the age group and expectations of them.

I am loving P4 now. Old enough to get some interesting lessons from them and young enough to keep you laughing all day!

Hope that helps

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thank you for your help. In terms of reading ...how many reading groups do you have and when do you find the time to do them. What are the other children doing during this time?