1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary 1....please help!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by elle-jay06, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have just been told I have P1 and I am very excited but also quite nervous as it's my first time in infants.

Do you have any hints, tips, advise, or fabulous website for P1.

Thanks in advance

2. Hi,

I have just been told I have P1 and I am very excited but also quite nervous as it's my first time in infants.

Do you have any hints, tips, advise, or fabulous website for P1.

Thanks in advance

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Just been told? That's cutting it fine!
    Have a look at some of the resources on ******; I've got lots of my displays from there. I'm new to P1 this year too.
    Is there a P1 team in the school already or is there only 1 P1 class? Use your colleague, they're the best resource in school and will be able to point you in the right direction.

4. Hi, someone else asked a similar question a few weeks back and this was my reply which will apply to you!
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I would spend the first few weeks getting to know the children and introducing them to what is expected in Primary 1. Lots of story time and singing, rhymes etc. I would also do lots of cutting activities and handwriting patterns, opening and closing pegs etc.
    Establish a routine of where and how they line up (outside and in) indoor voices, no shouting out, how they address their peers and other adults, how to sit and listen. (I have always found...touch your nose, touch your ears, touch ur knees, touch your shoulders, tuck your arms in etc to work a treat in getting their attention or clap your hands once if your listening, clap your hands twice if your listening etc) Give them responsibilities within the classroom, group leaders, class helper, fruit monitor etc.
    They will need help at the beginning with simple things like standing up quietly, tucking chairs in, changing shoes and clothes. Stop for regular toilet breaks and stop in plenty of time to get ready for play time, lunch time and home time. Don't worry about cramming lots of work in, the children will benefit from all these things and you would spend more time later trying to train them!
    I would also put word walls/displays in places where children can access them. In my experience they are highly motivated by stickers and group points. You can also get certificates online for their first day at school which is nice!
    Hope this is of some help, don't hesitate to ask about anything else!
    Oh and a fab website is www.tpet.co.uk

</td></tr></table>

5. thank you so much for all your advice.
    I am so excited.....can't wait to meet them.
    [​IMG]