1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primaries becoming Academies

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by bubbalicious1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    Just wanted to know what you think of the new proposal for failing or just satisfactory primaries being turned into academies (non negotiable apparently) and the possible risk to jobs, teacher and t a. Are there any primary academies out there and are they better or worse. One teacher at our school has said that if ours becomes an academy, they will be promptly looking for another job, I think as a matter of principle. Looks like ours in Nottinghamshire could be if we're in the bottom 200, which is very possible. Now the school is implementing an urgent push toward reading and writing ( not very good SATs results being the reason) which they consider critical to stave off impending academy status. Good news?Bad news? Not sure.

2. Hi, I don't really know an awful lot about the in's and out's of becoming an academy, but our primary school recently became an academy (by choice) and it seems to have been a positive thing. None of the staff had any objection to it that I know of. I guess it would depend on the management team as the school is then run by the Head and board of governors and they decide on things like where funding is spent. I think it gives the governors and head teacher more control over how the school is run. Like I said though I don't know a great deal about it but it does seem to have been a positive thing in our school.

3. How has it impacted on the children and teaching staff? Are you still happy or has there been unseen consequences?