1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

price tags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Jan 6, 2012.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I am doing a car booty in the morning and have just realised I haven't priced things. Do people normally put on price labels or just play it by ear?

2. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Price tags often put people off. It depends on what you're selling, but I usually lump the 'don't care how much I get as long as it sells' into a few boxes marked with a set-price for the rummaging bargain-hunters. Everything else goes on a table and I just state a price, depending on the item, the would-be buyer and their level of interest!

3. Most car booters don't price their stuff up. People make an offer, haggle and then agree on a price.
    However if I am car booting I try to sell cheap and so I do price up because people will sometimes walk past and ignore stuff because thay can't be bothered to ask prices.
    You could always price up as the morning goes on. All you need is a roll of sellotape and some bits of paper nothing fancy as price labels. The morning is pretty long if you are up early and you could start pricing up the stuff that doesn't sell.
    Anyway wrap up warm, take a flask and plenty of sandwiches and don't spend all your profits on more junk ( advice I fail to heed every time I do a Car Boot).

4. [​IMG] oh yes!!!

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks.
    I wonder how much I will get. Just an average couple of tables of car. Booty stuff.

6. Expect to sell a little more than half of what you take (depending upon which treasures you have).
    Try and sell the big stuff you really don't want to take home and don't hold out for an unachievable price. Things sell for a lot less than people think at car boot sales so don't be too ambitious.
    I usually make around £50 pound with my mix of bric a brac but if you have some expensive items it may be more. Things under a pound sell well but obviously you have to sell lots of little things to make money.
    There are lots of dealers ambling around the car boot sales who know the value of items and will always be on the look out for a bargain.Make sure you are not accidentally selling something that will appear on Antiques Roadshow a few years down the line because you didn't realise it was a rare item.
    Don't forget to take into account the cost of your pitch in your profits. Oh and take some change for a float if you have it.