1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Price for school trip

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

How much does the average school trip now cost per child? Id love to take my class to the roald dahl gallery but its going to cost arond £18 for a whole day visit. I personally think thats a lot of money. What do you think

2. rainbowdrop86

How much does the average school trip now cost per child? Id love to take my class to the roald dahl gallery but its going to cost arond £18 for a whole day visit. I personally think thats a lot of money. What do you think

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

£18 sounds fairly reasonable to me. Our school tries to limit the cost of day trips to £15 and the PTFA subsidises costs if they are more than this.
    As lomg as you aren't expecting parents to pay for a big trip more than once a year, I would have thought this would be ok.
    Much depends on your catchment I suspect. If you feel the trip will enhance the curriculum considerably I would go for it.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. rainbowdrop86

Our trip before Xmas was £11?

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I'm in the North West, our parents would have be up in arms if they were asked for £18.
    We're visiting a castle after half-term and are asking for £7 each towards cost of coach, entry and tour. School fund will make up the shortfall. I think actual cost is about £11 a head.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Definitely depends on catchment. Mind you, my placement school was in a very well off area (1 child in the whole SCHOOL recieved FSM, out of over 200 kids....) yet if trips went over £10 parents complained. Where I am now is quite a mixed catchment, I'd say predominantly middle-class but around 4 or 5 FSM in my class, and apparently a Y3 trip to see a professional theatre production was £12 and some parents refused to pay because they felt it was "too much", not because they couldn't afford it.
    I'm sure some trips were £15+ when I was in primary school back in the 1990s!

7. rainbowdrop86

Yeah I think it's too much too, just thought I'd see what everyone else thinks etc. such a shame as would have been great but ill just recommend for weekend visits with family instead

8. It also depends on what they're paying for. One of our year groups was asked for £18 recently for a trip to a local castle, which offers a 'pay once, come as many times as you like in a year' ticket. Lots of our parents have these tickets and wanted to know why they couldn't take the kids in using them. They also wanted to know why they should pay a lot of money for a trip to a place that they often visit as a family, for free.
    That prompted a long letter explaining the cost of coach travel, hiring the room for the activities and paying for the educational group leaders from the castle to sort out the activities. Some of the parents were still unhappy after all of that, but most paid up. School voluntary fund makes up any shortfall.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We have to be very careful with the cost of trips. We try to keep the cost below£10 and PTA sometimes pay for the coach. We also have the problem of some parents (always the same ones) not paying but expecting their children to go. Legally we can't do anything about this and it causes aggro amongst the parents who do pay. Our budget is so tight that we can't subsidise trips from there.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We took ours on a trip for £3 just before half term and are taking them on another for £2 plus an on the day donation of 50p-£1 a couple of weeks after half term. You would think we were asking for the crown jewels!

£18 would NOT be worth the bother.

11. I teach in a wealthy area and most of out parents pay up (sometimes using Coutts cheques, LOL) but the max we've ever asked for is still only £12, and we do occasionally get grumbles.

12. I wouldn't want to ask for more than £10, unless it was for something exceptional. Ours usually work out at about £8. We would get a lot of complaints at £18 for a day trip. Our catchment is mixed.

13. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

We stoppped taking children who had not contributed to the cost of a trip, because it was the same parents constantly not paying, knowing that their children would still be taken. We have found that since doing this twice, all children now pay (or contribute a donation if unable to fund full price) to our trips. It was hard to leave those children behind, but is much fairer now that we have eliminated the 'not going to bother paying because the school will take them any way' mentality.

14. My understanding is that you cannot exclude children whose parents haven't paid - you were lucky to get away with that. Another way to tackle this is to plan a bogus trip and then cancel it due to "lack of voluntary contributions". That would shock a few parents.

15. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

We generally charge £10 for trips, of course most of that is for the coach. I don't think our fairly affluent catchment would pay £18...actually most probably would pay it but there'd be a lot of moaning and gossiping at the school gate.

16. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm fairly sure that's illegal. If people could afford to pay but were choosing not to that's fair enough but what about the families who genuinely couldn't afford it? Have to say I'd have gone down the route of cancelling a trip due to not enough contributions rather than leaving some children behind. It's not their fault their parents are poor.
    When I was at school families had to write to the governers/head in confidence if they couldn't afford to pay. I guess this stopped families not paying just because they didn't want to as they actually had to write to someone to say they couldn't pay, not just not send in money.

17. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

You get round this by collecting permission signatures and money together - any slips returned without payment are given back to the child with a note that we need both together. This works for us as without a signature we are not legally allowed to take the children on coach trips.

18. How does that change anything? You still aren't allowed to ask for payment for a trip in school time - only for a voluntary donation. It is perfectly feasible for a permission slip to be sent back without payment included.
    I am astonished any school would choose to leave some children behind. How is it fair to penalise a child for their parents' lack of money or lack of care? The fact it is illegal should be at the bottom of the list when making such a choice!

19. I too thought this was not allowed. We always have to write the wording 'voluntary contribution' and there are always some who just return the slip, not the money. We would never leave anyone behind and if there really wasn't enough to cover the trip we would tell the parents this which would probably ensure enough money came in. It seems extremely unkind to prevent children from going on a trip because their parents wouldn't or couldn't pay.

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You are breaking the law by returning the permission slip and asking for payment I'm afraid
    http://www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/childrenandfamilies/parenting/a005627/i-have-received-a-letter-from-my-childs-school-asking-for-contributions-towards-a-school-trip-do-i-have-to-pay
    What if a parent is unable, or unwilling to make a voluntary contribution? How does this affect their child(ren)?
    A The school cannot exclude a child from taking part in an activity that is part of the National Curriculum purely on the grounds that you, the parent or carer, cannot make, or refuses to make a contribution. This can clearly place schools in some difficulty on occasions where a number of parents/carers might be in such a position. The school then has to decide whether they can cover the costs of such activity from within the budget or by fundraising, or whether the activity has to be cancelled.