1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Previous bad experiences at schools on application forms - how to deal with?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rex, Jun 15, 2015.

1. rex

rex New commenter

I have been on supply the last few years. As a teacher of 12 years experience I have little hope of getting permanent jobs it feels. However In January a girl made a malicious/mistaken allegation against me claiming I had looked at her inappropriately when she had been tipped off her chair. The school investigated, found I had no case to answer but terminated my placement there. Last week in another school, a boy claimed that another student had tried to assault him sexually. It happened in an extremely challenging class with no support for me at all and I had no blame applied to me either. Yet my placement there was terminated too. As a supply I have no leg to stand on to appeal these dismissals. Both schools were/are in special measures and are going through staff (supply and contract) rapidly. Am I justified to gloss over these on my application forms where it asks for dismissals or child protection issues? Would I be in breach of contract if I don't mention them and then they are discovered? One head did help me with an application form and said that one non-teaching job I was dismissed from was not relevant and need not be admitted to on a teaching application form. Advice please?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Did you get your Union involved at all at the time of these allegations?

(I hope you are in one.)

I don't think you can "gloss over" these allegations. It doesn't matter that the schools were in SM - they happened. I'm also concerned that a HT told you to hide the fact you were dismissed from a non-teaching job. In most schools, a full employment History is asked for, including supply work and non-teaching. If you leave it off the panel can draw their own conclusions about where you were and what you were up to.

3. rex

rex New commenter

Had union advice for the first incident. I have had successful long term placements at good schools with no blemishes whatsoever on my professionalism, but where I have been in challenging schools I have on some occasions been found wanting. I am desperate to get a good job in a good school and do not want to hold up these experiences to scare potential schools off. Is my career totally busted then?

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

It is if you lie. Which is what this HT is effectively telling you to do.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No

Yes

Incorrect.

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

I'm sorry that you have had a series of unhappy experiences, but being 100% honest and truthful is the only way forward. You might like to consider writing a brief and clear explanatory letter, putting it in an envelope marked Confidential - for Headteacher only. That would enable you to get your side of the story over when you send in an application.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.