1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preventing my 'for sale' resource being seen and used for free.

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by myrabarretto, Jun 29, 2018.

1. myrabarretto

myrabarretto New commenter

I noticed that some resources for sale seemed to be protected by going darker and only semi visible when scrolled over. Could somebody explain how I do this. At the moment my single page songs are on view with a single line through and are visible. Any ideas?

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

not in favour of charging, sharing seemed a good thing for professional teachers to do to help each other

Dodros and curl88 like this.
  3. curl88

curl88 New commenter

Maybe add a blank title page in if you're massively worried so that this is what's being blanked out. But I'm of the same train of thought as hammie, the charges seem contradictory to what TES resources are about. Agree to disagree!

hammie likes this.
  4. penyrheol1

penyrheol1 New commenter

Hello curl88. As you share the opinion that TES should be solely a site for teachers to share resources for free, may I respectfully bring to your attention that you haven't uploaded any of yours to share and that furthermore this is a forum for authors. With all good wishes.

LikeAnExpert and elder_cat like this.
  5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I really cannot understand why folks get so irate about the notion of paid-for resources. Firstly, I'd like to clarify something. They are not TES resources. TES simply host them, and allow others to download them for their use. They are resources created by authors.

If, by "contradictory to what TES resources are about", you mean the idea that "teachers share resources freely, in the same sense as sharing best practice with their colleagues", then there are still shed-loads of resources available on TES at no cost.The issue is whether prospective users feel they are of good enough quality, and meet their needs. Many do, but there are others that may not.

Better quality resources don't create themselves, and an author may spend a lot of time putting them together before uploading them to TES. Not all authors are practising teachers, currently employed in the classroom. If they are a self-employed tutor, or retired, the often raised argument that "the resources they create are already paid for by their employer" doesn't hold water. In these cases, charging for the resource is the simplest way of trying to recoup something towards the cost of the time they have invested in its' creation.

I see nothing wrong in that, provided the resource in question is of good quality and fairly priced.

I have only uploaded a few free resources at the moment, but may upload a couple of paid for resources. Assuming optimistically that they do actually sell - and they may not - then whatever royalties I get from TES won't even come close to matching Minimum Wage, when you factor in the amount of time I've spent creating, editing, proof-reading and revamping the end product. By the time TES have taken their whack, I don't expect the proceeds will fund a beach-front property in Malibu. But it would be nice to think I could get a little towards putting bread and jam on the table, as a return for my investment in terms of time and effort.

6. curl88

curl88 New commenter

Many apologies that I stumbled on the author forum in error. As you may be able to tell from ‘new commenter’ I’ve held an account but not been particularly active in many respects.

Hence me doing the following:
    - Ending up in an author forum in error.
    - Not having shared resources due to not being too active.
    - Somehow annoyed people and given an impression of being ‘irate’ even though I did offer a suggestion to help first.

I was polite as punch and simply shared an opinion. I’d maybe lay off dusting off the pitchforks so quickly next time! (And point out I wasn’t the only one to comment that I didn’t agree with charged resources.)

Anyway, I’ll be off now as I’m not an author and don’t want to enter any kind of war as a result of a brief opinion following some advice.

All the best.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I'm not angry, just saddened that teachers see it as ok to make money off of colleagues. Perhaps we should only be able to download if we upload?

curl88 likes this.
  8. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

I would recommend putting your resource into a zip file and then taking a screenshot of your files and using them as a preview. You could then put faint preview watermarks over them in. I currently use Adobe acrobat Pro to do this, but it does cost money for the program.

9. elder_cat

Good afternoon @curl88

Sorry if my post seemed a bit unfriendly. It was intended as more of a general comment on the current situation with regard to TES resources. It's just there have been multiple postings of late on the subject, and the issue of whether or not authors should be allowed to charge is a bit of a sore point at the moment. It wasn't particularly aimed at you personally, and I apologise for any offence it may have caused.

10. elder_cat

Good afternoon @hammie

I understand your viewpoint, and in an ideal world, things would probably be very different. For me, if and when I do put some paid for resources up, it won't be a case of 'making money off of colleagues', so much as simply trying to make a few quid here and there, for having saved someone the time and trouble of producing the resource themselves.

Looking at this from the other side of the fence for a moment, here are the statistics as at this morning for the resources I have on TES at the moment (all of which are free):

Views 843 - Downloads 414 - Reviews 3

Of the 843 people who have viewed my resources, just under 50% of them found them useful enough to go on to download them. I had two 5-star reviews, one consisting of a short paragraph (which is great) and one where the 'review' consisted of 'A1'. I had one 4-star review, with the stars ticked, but without any comments at all.

You say you are "saddened that teachers see it as ok to make money off of colleagues". I find it equally sad that of the 414 people who downloaded my resources, less than 1% of them could be bothered to find the time to type a simple 'Thank you for this resource'. The time required to evaluate my resources and physically download them, is an order of magnitude less than the amount of time it takes me to produce them. I can only assume from this, that more than 99% of people feel their time is important, whereas mine isn't. Not wishing to upset anyone, but I disagree.

I'm not sure the idea of only being allowed to download if you have uploaded resources yourself, would actually work too well in practice. If people's time is as precious as it appears to be, then the number of uploads would reduce dramatically. The system would probably also suffer abuse, with people uploading low quality resources, just to enable them to take out better quality work.

iandoublem and penyrheol1 like this.