1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prevent: This is getting stupid surely

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 10, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

lexus300 and nomad like this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I believe he was a vegetarian;)
    Edit.
    Sorry Lan., just seen your post:)

lanokia likes this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Tell us more.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

There is little doubt in my mind that the current Home Secretary is one of the biggest threats to democracy and civil liberties in the UK today:

"The UK home secretary, Priti Patel, has defended anti-terrorist police for putting the Extinction Rebellion environmental protest group on a list of extremist ideologies, saying it was important to look at “a range of security risks”.

While accepting that XR was not a terrorist organisation, Patel told LBC radio that such assessment had to be “based in terms of risk to the public, security risks, security threats”.

And

"Asked if she believed XR was a terrorist organisation, Patel replied: “No, they’re obviously a protest organisation. But everything has to be based in terms of risk to the public, security risks, security threats. That is based on information from the police, and various intelligence that we will receive. That’s the proper thing to do. You develop your policy approach accordingly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ion-rebellion-on-terror-list?CMP=share_btn_tw

I suspect Remainers will be the next group to be singled out like this.

ajrowing likes this.
  7. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Climate change is an existential threat. The science is clear, unambiguous and supported by real world data from all over the world. If we don't fix this, we go extinct. The opinion of one person who thinks it all a hoax is irrelevant. Give that person a platform and they make it less clear to the population at large. Given how dreadful our political system is, we need the environment in general and climate change in particular to be front and centre for there to be any chance of us doing anything useful about it.
    To my mind, denying climate change (usually because big business has paid you to, sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes trolling) is a crime against humanity.

Scintillant and colacao17 like this.
  8. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Should we put climate change deniers on the list of people to report to Prevent?

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is not consensus science except in the minds of religious zealots. The science is based on altered/tampered data. In any case there is no science where there is consensus, consensus is politics.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Who on here has denied climate change? Come on let us see who you are referring to.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Please do, it would be educational. Start with Tony Heller. I would pay money to watch that.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The crime against humanity is to present pseudo science as fact and then use it for scaremongering. It is tantamount to the middle ages inquisition in its fervour, that alone should be waving a red flag at any one with half a brain or more.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How long do you think a climate changer denier, when convicted of a crime against humanity, should spend in prison?

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I might ask you that in 4-5 years time...

15. Scintillant

Tampered data?

Behave yourself.

[​IMG]

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

At least you are now using actual images and not a CGI composit with no scaling.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Why would you ask me? It's @physicsfanboy who says climate change denial is a "crime against humanity", not me. That's why I asked him what he thinks the appropriate punishment should be.

As you've joined the discussion, what's your opinion? Should climate change deniers have criminal law penalties imposed on them? If so, what?

18. Scintillant

[​IMG]

It's a great visualisation that really hits home

This is made from data from NASA’s FIRMS (Satellite data regarding fires) between 05/12/19 – 05/01/20. These are all the areas which have been affected by bushfires.

Scale is a little exaggerated due to the render’s glow, but generally true to the info from the NASA website. Also note that NOT all the areas are still burning, and this is a compilation.

19. Scintillant

I'll ask you in 4-5 years' time. You might have changed your mind by then...

My own opinion? Well, you can't make stupidity a crime. However, it's getting serious and climate change denial might have a very real and extremely serious effect on the planet.

Still, no, I'm happy to let people say what they like. At least I can then say, "I told you so" when it all ***** up. Which won't be long by the looks of it.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

About what?