1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pretty slow this forum!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Andy Mitchell, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell New commenter

I think I'll simply go back to Facebook. It was a while since I;d visited and I thought I'd have a look to see how busy the TES group but I think I've got my answer. As I suspected, things have moved on and the variety of Facebook pages provide an alternative that is preferable to busy teachers i suspect. Shame thought that there is nobody at the TES who responds to questions here though. I'm alway interested in new blogs when they appear but as I indicated a earlier, there really should be a facility for other to comment underneath which appears to be missing. So far I've not heard whether this is going to be introduced.
    What do others think? - if there is anyone out there :)

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Im here Andy and we have already played verbal tennis a few times. Always good to chat though.

3. Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell New commenter

Yep and I've enjoyed that. But my point is Ithink everyone has pretty much moved off to Facebook which is not surprising really.

4. splinters

Its a shame as a dedicated forum allows for more focused discussion on topics. Facebook threads tends to digress into cat videos before long...:rolleyes:

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Let's face it guys, DT is a dying subject being squeezed out of the timetable with every wheeze that the government comes up with. The advent of the new 'blue peter sticky back plastic' gcse is really the final nail in the coffin for our subject. How are we supposed to encourage students to take dt at a-level when gcse is such a lashed up mish-mash of disparate bits of this and that? In the e-bacc world of gradgrind drudgery anything with the merest hint of creativity and fun (remember that?) Is consigned to also ran status. The workshops will soon be turned into computer suites or classrooms and the lathes, bandsaws and milling machines will be sold off to reduce the school's budget deficit or scrapped altogether. The basic skills we need to actually make stuff are being sacrificed on the altar of Michael Gove's prep school curriculum.

6. sav5000

sav5000 New commenter

i like to return here periodically to the varied discussions. It also allows for time to consider thoughts and movements in the subject. The basic fact is that the ebac is in such a strong position In schools along with progress 8 that D&T is simply is not getting a level playing field

The result is that in 2 years time when current y7 opt, with only one option choice, numbers could be so low that it will not be a subject that is viable.
    This position seems unreversible currently with all students being made to take the ebac.

splinters likes this.
  7. splinters

Sadly I couldn't agree more, although I remain furious at how this can be allowed to happen in a world pretty much driven by design and technology!!
    Its crazy and one day someone will realise just what damage this government has done.

8. Centrepunch

Centrepunch New commenter

What are the Facebook names or groups

I am not on Facebook socially because I simply do not like it. so any advice will be great.

Tech is going strong in my school in n.ireland.

9. splinters

10. Centrepunch

Centrepunch New commenter