1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pressure from Occ Health.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by whistle4it, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    I've been off work since September due to a situation that just seems to be making me sicker by the day. I have been told that I need to get back to normal by the above and they are insisting on a phased return. This is to be discussed at my next meeting with them but I know I am not ready. I can barely function, and I know how I operate...I will just fall to bits if I go back when there is this much going on in my head, and my situation isn't normal, so I couldnt concentrate at work. I've already tried. I don't want to be coerced into doing or saying something that I know I am not ready to do. Any advice would be welcome x

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

When does your sick note run out? Does your doctor still consider you unfit for work?

3. ilovesooty

Oh...and I'm sorry - can't remember whether you're in a union, but if so, is your regional rep involved?

4. Signed off till the 7th, meeting with oh on 30th, i.e before note runs out. GP says if I dont feel ready then Im not ready as subjective, and he is fully supportive. Not contacted the union yet, what will they do? Thanks btw x

5. (((whistle))) hope all is okay x

6. ilovesooty

Whistle, I think it's crucial that you involve the union ASAP. And make sure it's at regional level. If you are being pressured to return to work against the advice of your GP you need professional help. The union needs to help you to negotiate with the school and with OH.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Take your union rep (regional) to the next appointment.

8. Many thanks ladies, will contact union tomorrow but my appt is on Thursday :( Negotiate? x

9. Hello,

If your GP has signe dyou off occ health can't force you to return... speak with your GP and get another sick note if necessary. He will be able to write if he thinks a phased return is possible or what cativities you could do.

Would you want/be well enough to do soem marking planning from home say an hour a day? If so ask for it to be recorded.. but if you are ill you are ill.

10. Torey

Ask your union on what you should do. They may advise you to postpone or tell you your legal position, so you know what to say.
    OH work for your employer, so have a vested interest in you returning to work.
    Whatever you do make it clear that you will be able to return to work even if you can't give a date at the moment.

11. Contacting union tomorrow. Felt completely pushed on Thurs and now in a total meltdown as they say I have to do phased return. Im not ready. I need them to give me a rest. I can't manage this.

12. Then don't. You are the most important person here. You are sounding like you are at the end of your tether and when you feel like that it is easy for people to bully you into things as you dont always have the energy to stick up for yourself. Contact the union and be really honest. Whatever other people say you cannot always help your feelings and it is important you take notice of them or you could end up even worse.I wish I could wave a magic wand and make things better but sending a hug and encouraging you to hang in there.

13. Torey

What did your union say?

14. Still waiting for someone to ring me back Torey. Thanks WL x

15. Torey

That isn't a very good service. If you rang regional I'd ring head office tomorrow and explain that you only have to Thursday and need to have an answer. I'm sure that an OH nurse can't over rule a GP, but I'd want someone with me at the appointment to support me when they are being like this.