1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pressure Cookers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Jan 25, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've acquired a pressure cooker from m-i-l and now wondering what I can do with it.
    I've used it to make a tomato compote and also to cook pulses. Very effective at both. The fact that it cooked some kidney beans in 20 minutes seems like a mini-miracle!
    I used it to make a chicken stock last night and the results are incredible. A beautiful, clear, brown stock with a very clean and intense flavour.
    So - what else do people use them for, if you have them?
    I know they have a stigma attached to them, of them blowing up all over the kitchen, but I'm assured that whilst old pressure cookers always carried a risk of doing this, modern ones are quite safe.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've acquired a pressure cooker from m-i-l and now wondering what I can do with it.
    I've used it to make a tomato compote and also to cook pulses. Very effective at both. The fact that it cooked some kidney beans in 20 minutes seems like a mini-miracle!
    I used it to make a chicken stock last night and the results are incredible. A beautiful, clear, brown stock with a very clean and intense flavour.
    So - what else do people use them for, if you have them?
    I know they have a stigma attached to them, of them blowing up all over the kitchen, but I'm assured that whilst old pressure cookers always carried a risk of doing this, modern ones are quite safe.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Steamed puddings, ham joints, pot roasts, casseroles...................the list is endless. My Mum used hers every day.
    I'm sure there's a good book somewhere nick, full of ideas!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Pressure cookers are currently on sale in Aldi for £30

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Dad does his oxtail vindaloo in it!

6. I'm seriously thinking of buying one from Aldi tomorrow, it's a 5L size so seems plenty big enough to me, and at that price is a bargain!
    I remember my mum, in the 70s, using her pressure cooker an awful lot. Ooh, steamed sponge pudding and custard on a Sunday, after a roast, brings back such wonderful memories.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I went camping in Morocco the local cook who came with us used the pressure cooker every night on a primus stove. It was some of the best food I have ever eaten.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think part of it is a fad thing, part because they are ungainly and don't fit comfortably among the other pots and pans. It requires a storage space of it's own, unlike regular pots and pans which can nest among each other.
    Of course, there is the other thing that you can't remove the lid until the pressure has susbided which either takes patience or quenching in cold water. A money saving tip I remember from the 70s was to plunge the pressure cooker into a washing up bowl of water to use the heat it contained to assist with the cost of washing up.
    My experience was that it might have helped slightly. Doubtful thatit had a significant saving on our fuel bills.

9. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

If you buy the Daily Mirror today(45p) there is a voucher for £5 off a £30 spend at Aldi.

10. ljr

ljr New commenter

I was horrified to find that my ancient pressure cooker wouldn't work when I started to use my wonderful new induction hob, I should have realised, but it was something I overlooked. I managed to last for a month before rushing out and buying a stainless steel one. Apart from all the ideas already posted for everyday cooking I made this years marmalade last week in next to no time, I boiled my ham for Christmas and the beetroot for tomorrows salad is cooking in it as I write. I have a microwave and a slow cooker, but I still couldn't do without my pressure cooker.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Heston keeps whipping out his pressure cooker which is a positive.
    My Mum used to use the pressure cooker for every meal - to cook the veg to the pap that my Dad preferred [​IMG] Thinking about it that may explain why I didn't like vegetables as a child but have learned to like them since.
    I have memories of feeling really brave putting the "****" on to hold the steam in. Then there were the fun and games when the **** was pushed off and someone had to run in to the steam-filled kitchen and try to knock it back on again. I would guess they are different now. It is about 30 years ago and the pressure cooker came from my grand-parents before we had it.

12. Thanks, BS, for the tip about the newspaper voucher. Unfortunately I've just spotted it and bought the pressure cooker earlier today. The instructions haven't been written using the best english but well enough to vaguely understand what's they mean! Can't wait to have a try with it at the weekend! ( Please excuse the lack of paragraphs and quotes, I'm on my phone)

13. So sorry, fudge, I can't even manage to thank the right person for the voucher tip! Must be the excitement about having a new kitchen gadget to play with. If it's good enough for Heston and all that!

14. Exactly what I was going to say !
    Made marmalade last week , boil hams and thought you could only cook beetroot in a pressure cooker ! Okay as long as jiggly bit doesn't blow as there is nothing like a red beetroot wash sprayed your kitchen walls.
    Bought sprog one for Xmas as she wanted one she could cook stews in minutes when she gets home from work.
    My favourite meal is to throw in a pc lamb chops, tin tomatoes, peeled onion and carrots, dried butter beans, stock cube and extra water. cook until butter beans are soft and add some peeled potatoes and put back on for a further 5-10 minutes.

15. modelmaker

Since her indoors is currently indoors somewhere in New York at the moment, I've had the chance to catch up with various jobs about the house. Doing one of these, I came across our pressure cooker, a vessel that never earned its money as I had anticipated.
    The story goes back a while. I bought a Prestige automatic pressure cooker from the Co-op many years ago but it wouldn't get up to pressure so I took it back and they replaced it. The new one worked ok for a few times then also failed to get up to pressure. The Co-op had closed down and we were in the process of moving so nothing was done about it. It got put in an out of the way cupboard and forgotten about.
    But since I was doing some other things, I came across it again and decided to take a look at what might be wrong with it. It turns out that there is an injection moulded piece of plastic that supports the tube that the weight slides up and down on. The tube was loose so there was no way it would produce a seal. I took it apart and the crappy injection moulding was broken in 3 places, probably because the plastic couldn't stand the heat.
    So now I have the answer, and tomorrow I shall machine a suitable replacement and get the damn thing working again as it ought to. There was a time when you could buy things and know they'd last. The pressure cooker wasn't cheap, yet sadly failed over a component someone thought they'd save a few pence on.
    Anyway, once I get it working again I might get inspired once more.

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

MM- you're not my Dad, are you?

17. modelmaker

If you're my daughter, it's about time you visited me again. I need to learn you how to get a barbecue alight before I can't do it myself any longer.
    Incidentally, my dog and I shall be dining on barbecued sausages tonight. For reasons I don't understand, the chimney starter wasn't having anything of it today despite several attempts. I had to resort to pouring white spirit over the coals and tossing a match in to get them going.
    The dog has been fluctuating between patient and restless for her dinner. I have a pile of chopped hardwood next to the barbecue that I use to generate woodsmoke and I've had to amuse her by tossing a piece of it around the garden she can run after and retrieve.
    Anyway, it's simple and delicious tonight. Barbecued sausages I shall be basting in a while with a thick sweet and sour sauce, jacket potato, baked beans cooked in the tin, barbecued onion halves and proper toast.