1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presents from your class...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cattym, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Hi all,although I know not all of us primary teachers have broken up for the holidays yet,I wondered what sort of presents your class gave you-if you're allowed to accept gifts,that is?
    Do most children give you a little something,do parents club together or are presents banned at your school?
    Just out of interest!
    Enjoy the holidays when you get them.

2. I got a plant. That was nice.

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

All the parents in my class clubbed together and bought me two champagne flutes and a bottle of bubbly. They're really beautiful and I was a little overwhelmed.

Saving them for first use at our wedding next summer :)

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Reflecting frugal times, loads of home-made cookies and stuff. Most of it went in the dog.

5. I've had the usual selection of chocolates and biscuits, gratefully received and will be shared with the family at Christmas. I've also had a lovely foldaway shopping bag (Wales = bag tax), some handcream, some Christmas tree ornaments and a pretty candle.

6. LOL - teaching in a very wealthy, professional area has some perks!
    Last year I got 6 bottles of wine, copious chocs and £65 of John Lewis vouchers. A colleague received a Tiffany bracelet.
    The presents don't quite make up for the hassle they give me all year though!

7. Working in a not so wealthy school - I received:
    - some chocolates (poundland)
    - snowdome - with no water
    - a hideous gold necklace - but love the thought from child
    AND
    - a beautiful peg bag...!?! - random present 2011 methinks!
    I love that the children want to give you something so badly that they literally give you anything, they are so adorable!
    Merry Christmas

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I got lots and lots of chocolates...and being unfussy the cheap ones are as good as the posh ones.

Some smellies, but nothing dreadful...all can be 'regifted'.

A bottle of wine...love that child!

And a hama bead animal thing. Was going to put it in the bathroom, but OH has flatly refused.

Chocolates are my favourite present because I'd never buy a box of choccies in the supermarket just for us, but I do love them. This haul should keep us going until July when I'll get the end of year ones to last until next xmas!

9. tiffany bracelet!! bloody hell! thats bit much isnt it? i would feel uncomfortable accepting that as a gift! :/
    all seems a little too much some of that! crikey!!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But for some parents a Tiffany bracelet is actually worth less than a box of dairy milk from a poor family.

11. Absolutely right! The bracelet was a joint gift from most of the class, and those parents had made my colleague's life a misery all year. Some of our parents think they can throw money at a situation (or child) and it will make up for everything else...
    I was still very happy with my JL vouchers though!

12. all very true i know - but I still find it madness! x

13. I got lots of chocolates - problem is I don't like chocolate!!!!

14. [​IMG]had loads of little present and the best was a german friendship cake mix which you add ingredients to everyday and then finally cook it! unusual but very welcomed, usual chocolates and sweeties and a special wrapped parcel odd shape but nevertheless welcomed...

15. I don't like chocolates either and got six boxes - my daughters will eat them - but the three bottles of wine and the bottle of sherry were very much appreciated.

16. Same here, I actually quite loathe it. So I kept 3 boxes to regift at various parties, and sent the rest with a colleague to the Hope Mission. Truthfully they can use the calories more than I can! I also got various gift cards to various coffee places, some fantastic hand cream, some bath stuff which may be regifted (I haven't even broken into LAST year's yet) and one student painted me a lovely picture, which I think I will be keeping in my classroom. All in all, a good year! (One former student even brought me some very cute little Christmas tea towels, in my favourite colour... so sweet!)

17. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

My strangest this year was a gift voucher for B&Q. Will certainly come in handy, though, I'm sure!

18. I didn't get a single present! I'm not too bothered though, saves me rifling through extra Christmas chocs :eek:)

19. Working in a deprived area, and being a job-share at start of week, not many pressies come this way, but those that do are all really appreciated. If they're wrapped I keep them until Christmas day, but I did get a very yummy and professional looking cup-cake. Whatever the gift I always give a thank you note at the beginning of term because it's the thought that counts.

20. The most memorable present I have ever received was many years ago when a wee 6 year old boy gave me a potato (a large clean one) which he had obviously just helped himself to from his kitchen. I was so touched as he clearly wanted to give me a gift but had nothing else to give.