1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presents from teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Rachellen, Dec 16, 2010.

1. In our school each teacher is allocated a TA to buy a gift for from the school. The TA's know this is on behalf of the school and so dont feel the need to buy back.

2. I always give a present to my TA just as a small token of my appreciation to show them how grateful I really am. I can't afford to buy them much (saving up for a deposit on a house!) but I want to buy them something. I try to buy something they will like and that shows I know something about them as a person. I don't want to patronise them, I just want to show I really appreciate them. Obviously I do tell them to their face too. Some are truly amazing. The best I've ever worked with. This is true for most of the TA's I have ever worked with. I usually receive one back but feel bad about it and say so. I have been told that it's just a little thing to show that they like working with me, feel appreciated and enjoy coming to work. Means more than a gift.
    I also buy the office staff, kitchen staff, caretaker and cleaners presents (usually chocolate/wine), as well as parent helpers. Again this is a small token of my appreciation and I do not receive one back, nor do I want to (well I do from parents). I usually give it to them from the class too and they are presented with the gifts from the children so that they can understand and appreciate what the other staff do for them, not just their teacher or teaching assistant. Without those key people the school could not run!

3. As an LSA in a Primary School, I had no expectation of a gift, but recieved them; they were not at all patronising, but then, I think the Phase worked very closely, so they knew me. Those I worked with less closely gave token gifts which were never the less appreciated.
    In return, as a "whole staff" gift, I made several cakes and biscuits to take in.
    For the staff in my phase (who I was also most friendly with) I made and decorated little biscuits then put them in hand-made boxes.
    Cheap, consumable, sharable. What's not to like?

4. Just out of interest - who pays for the gifts that are given? I've just discovered that the Head of our primary school gave each of the cooks a tin of chocolates today, paid for out of the school budget!
    Seems a tad "off", particularly when the school can't afford to buy glue sticks or paint for craft activities.

5. As a foreign language HLTA in a Primary School I cover for all the teachers so that they can have PPA each week. I also coordinate and often supervise all the school clubs and run the Library - getting a box of chocolates or a plant from different teachers helps me feel good about myself and the work I try and do for them. I don't expect anything but really appreciate the thought and the thank yous on the little cards.

6. Is it patronising to say thank you or merry christmas? I have always given a gift to my TA and have never seen it as a duty as I have always been lucky enough to have had TAs who I consider friends. As for giving the teacher you work with a present that is up to you.

7. The gifts do not come out of the school budget. The teachers pay for the gifts for the LSAs themselves.

8. Good for you! The headline asks about schools' policy... a policy for giving and receiving presents..?? Come on - really?! So what's next... a policy for saying 'Good morning' in a particular tone of voice? A policy for leaving the staff toilet as you find it? A policy for making schools the centre of their community by encasing them in barbed wire and prison gateways? Time to get real? Sadly, I don't think this is the end of it.

9. Great first post!

10. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

What 'headline'? The title of the post is 'Presents from teachers' - I do agree with the gist of your post that this is something which is definitely not what I would consider an issue but it is a topic which comes up every Christmas and end of school year, and is obviously a concern for some TAs, so perhaps a little unfair to be too dismissive!
    By the way, I think the head who bought chocolates out of school budget should be shot! As with teachers, I have worked with heads who bought us all a small gift at Christmas and others who didn't but I would be appalled if I found out that the cost had been paid by school money.

11. "By the way, I think the head who bought chocolates out of school budget should be shot!"

Yes, it has caused some resentment (on top of many other resentments and occasional feelings of outrage)!

Ah well, it's Christmas. Probably best forgotten. The rest of the staff had a lovely time together on the last day, so that, for now, is what we should remember!

12. I'm a TA in a Primary school and the teachers I have worked with previously always bought me a Chrstmas present and end of Year present. I also bought them a present. This year I have a new teacher who is also the Head of KS1 and taught P4 last year. She bought all of the teachers and assistants in KS1 a present this year for Christmas and gave me the same as the other assistants, a small chocolate thing from Thortons, which an ungrateful TA said were £2 each and were on offer 3 for 2. Didn't annoy me in the slightest as the thought was there, Saying that I bought her a set from Boots that cost me £20, which is what I have spent on the other teachers in the past. At least I'll know not to do that in June when we finish :p
    I work up in an older class 4 days a week after my own class have went home, I worked with this teacher last year in my class, and she gave me a small gift as a Thank You for Christmas, I bought her a set from Boots which cost me £10. She gave me a watch and Thank You cup, which I already had, as the child who bought it for me in June last year bought her the same thing. As soon as I opened it yesterday morning I knew where she got it from and from whom, so not much thought went into that IMO.
    So my lesson this Christmas has been, don't spend over £5 each on the gifts I will buy the 2 teachers for the end of year present in June. Don't get me wring I was grateful for the gifts I received, as there was some thought in there somewhere, just not the same thought I had for them when buying their presents.
    The only thing that annoyed me from the teacher I work with everyday etc, is that the TA she had last year text me yesterday asking me what she had gotten me, when she heard I got the same as her she was raging for me as last Christmas she bought her a Molton Brown gift set which she priced on QVC as £35, so obviously I have gone wrong somewhere in my work since September. Doing all the extra things I'm not paid to do obviously didn't mean anything to her lol.

13. I do agree, however if a teacher gives a present to a TA as thanks for doing their job, then it does leave bad feelings when others do not get recognised. I frequently actually ALWAYS work unpaid on a weekly basis and just feel i am due the same amount of thanks! And i do think it is the heads responsility to ensure all his staff are treated equally! Especially if gifts are given as thank you's!!

14. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Well, I buy gifts because I choose to. I wouldn't want to be told that I must also buy something for TA2 because she does this or that. Some teachers have low opinions of some TAs but still buy them something and other teachers buy for everybody. I don't think you can legislate for people's different attitudes.

The only answer is not to take it personally - in the end it is the working relationship that is important rather than an annual tradition. I have a couple of TAs who are useless in lessons but I would feel duty bound to give them something if they were with me every week, whereas there are others who I really want to thank.

15. My son carried his card from his teaching team around with him for days. He's nine and made sure that when he changed his trousers the card changed as well, quite often saw him just sitting reading it over and over again. Both my kids treasure their cards from their teachers.