1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presenting types of learning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by joannagb, Jan 28, 2016.

1. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I'm teaching a child 121 who has some extreme behavioural difficulties, he's been permanently excluded and then excluded from the PRU as well. He hasn't been educated at all for 4 months, before that he attended the PRU occasionally. My job is to re-engage him with learning - and I'm determined to give it my best shot.

It's all a bit depressing, the inclusion officer has basically told me that this is his last chance and I'm not expected to make any progress with him at all, and while I realise that this is probably the case I'm a bit too stubborn to give up before I really get started.

He's good at wriggling out of learning - not too surprisingly, he seems completely unfamiliar with variety of activities that he might encounter, he refuses to begin to engage with work and often uses this as an excuse. I want to spend one session going through the different types of activities that he might meet and before I start work I wondered if anyone has ever attempted anything similar, and if so did they find it useful - and do they have anything that they could share with me please? I thought I might try to include his youth worker too and set them up to demonstrate how to engage with work. As I write this I realise that I'm going to some lengths for something likely to fail, but he's 12 years old and before he gets completely written off by the world I want to do my best!

Thanks