1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presentation Panic!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Bedella, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I have an interview in a couple of weeks and unsuprisingly have got to do a five minute presentation. This has really thrown me, not because I wasn't expecting it, but because the topic is so broad. I really was expecting an education issues or planning one, instead its simply you have five minutes to teach a member of staff something simple that you are really good at, could be anything!
    I'm assuming the key fact here is "teach" not talk, and am now racking my brains trying to come up with something that I could do. The thing is I'm not "really good" at anything in particular and am trying to incorporate visual aids etc to try and liven it up. So far my ideas that have been dismissed include teaching simple flute notes (chucked cos I can only play about five so far and not good all times), teaching how to write your name in heiroglyphs (i used to love this but have forgotten just how bad I was at drawing and how little I remember), how to make playdough (still thinking bout this one, could make recepie cards and bring in the infamous "heres some i made earlier quote). Etc etc
    I would really appreciate any feedback people can give me from their experiences as I am slowly going insane trying to come up with something I can feel confident in doing and this is scaring me more than the rest of the day. Am also struggling to get a letter of recomendation from the primary school I did volunteer work in so am really anxious. Sorry for the rant, thanks for any advice [​IMG]

2. Hello!
    I have an interview in a couple of weeks and unsuprisingly have got to do a five minute presentation. This has really thrown me, not because I wasn't expecting it, but because the topic is so broad. I really was expecting an education issues or planning one, instead its simply you have five minutes to teach a member of staff something simple that you are really good at, could be anything!
    I'm assuming the key fact here is "teach" not talk, and am now racking my brains trying to come up with something that I could do. The thing is I'm not "really good" at anything in particular and am trying to incorporate visual aids etc to try and liven it up. So far my ideas that have been dismissed include teaching simple flute notes (chucked cos I can only play about five so far and not good all times), teaching how to write your name in heiroglyphs (i used to love this but have forgotten just how bad I was at drawing and how little I remember), how to make playdough (still thinking bout this one, could make recepie cards and bring in the infamous "heres some i made earlier quote). Etc etc
    I would really appreciate any feedback people can give me from their experiences as I am slowly going insane trying to come up with something I can feel confident in doing and this is scaring me more than the rest of the day. Am also struggling to get a letter of recomendation from the primary school I did volunteer work in so am really anxious. Sorry for the rant, thanks for any advice [​IMG]

3. Wow Bedella that does sound like a tricky presentation task! I do not envy you! However you do sound very creative. I personally prefer the heiroglyphs idea. You don't sound too confident about the flute, plus playdough I think would only be fun if you could actually do it, which would be a bit difficult. Save that for a job interview where you do a short lesson maybe. With the heiroglyphs idea you could do 1 min on ancient egypt history and then get into with a little task, and something that the interviewer will actually learn something themselves. Imagine them going home and telling their OH that, think it would make you stick in their mind.
    Hope that helps, good luck!

4. Hello, I also had a 5 min presentation on any topic and I was not allowed any teaching aids at all. I would not focus too much on the "what". I would focus on the "how". How you will teach it, is what I think they are looking for.
    I would seek to "engage" my audience as much as possible and this would mean at any given time during the presentation have your audience doing more then one thing. You have probably heard about audio, visual and kinaesthetic (spelling?) learners and learning styles.
    Remember the presentation is only 5 minutes and this is actually a short time to learn something. I could not learn 5 notes on a flute in 5 minutes! The idea with heiroglyphs seems a good one to me. Perhaps you could treat it as you might learning a foreign language and if you used some simple words you might get your "students" to do some mime to help consolidate the meaning.
    So thinking about it you could get your students to look at some heiroglyphs (visual), listen to the meanings (audio) and mime (kinaesthetic) to learn and clarify the meaning. This could all be followed up with the students having a 1 minute task to design a heiroglyph of their own.
    Just an idea.