1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presentation for PGCE interview at BG

Discussion in 'English' started by cassshort, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I've just got through an invertation for a secondary English and Drama PGCE at Bishop Grosseteste Uni Lincoln. My instructions for the presentation are as follows:
    Please come prepared to deliver a short oral presentation (5mins) to a small panel of university college and school staff on a subject of intrest to you, other than education or your degree dissertation and without the aid of technology.
    I am struggling to think of an appropriate topic! Please could anyone out there give me some advice?
    Thank you

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not what you want to hear I'm sure but
    The point is , it needs to be YOUR IDEA.
    1 Because if you talk about something that is of interest to you, you'll come over as really interested in the topic and deliver the talk well
    2 They want to find out a bit about you from this talk- not about someone else on a forum.
    3 They want to see how you'd go about preparing a talk and how you'de deliver it to see what type of teacher you might become-there are as many types of successful teachers as there areleaves on a tree.
    So think about something you're passionate about and decide how you could convey an enthusiasm about it to someone else, after all that's often what teaching involves, how to stimulate other's interest in something, amongst other things.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So to avoid the
    comment, avoid saying directly what it is at the start e g
    I wonder if you can guess what I'm going to talk about? this a topic which has fascinated me ever since I . . . . . . . when my interest was awakened. I know lots of people with the same interest will concur with me when I say it's a fascinating subject because . . . .
    Get the idea?

4. Thank you :) I will! Your advice is really helpful.
    I think I really am worrying far too much. I am so determined to get things right that I worry myself out of any ideas I come up with.