1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presentation for HOD position

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by 19Ashy85, May 17, 2020.

1. 19Ashy85

19Ashy85 New commenter

Hello, I have an interview for temporary HOD and have to do a 10 minute presentation on where the department is currently, and priorities moving forward. What do people think the best approach and things to talk about would be? Thanks in advance

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Is this a presentation online or in person?

If online, I would just write it: although you could present your screen, that means that your audience won't be able to see you... and you want them to see you, as well as hear you.

If in person, powerpoint, but just with bullet points, or with the raw data that you extrapolate your conclusion from.

They are going to be looking for you to be:
    - organised (both in the way you group issues and your approach to and delivery of the presentation)
    - evaluative (which are the priorities? why? which are the easy wins? which are long-term goals?)
    - innovative (how will you address these issues?)
    - candid (tell it like it is: don't be overly optimistic/pessimistic)
    - clear and concise (they want to check you aren't going to be somebody who crumbles under pressure, or who waffles on for ages on pointless tangents during meetings)

That's my tuppence worth anyway...

Good luck!

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

For a temporary role, that seems OTT! Especially, as you might not be in the role long term when the permanent post holder returns. You can only implement short term actions and follow them through that way, setting long term wouldn’t really be possible considering you wouldn’t be in post that long- unless of course, its advertised as a temp role, with a view to become permanent.

I’m assuming you are already working at that school- my advice would be to evaluate what works, what could be improved and formulate an action plan from that. Remember, you don’t need to fix, what is not broken!