1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presentation for AH

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by japonica892, Jun 26, 2011.

1. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Hi all
    I have a presentation for AH job in charge of a faculty and have 2 ideas on how to tackle it but not sure which one would be more appropriate. The presentation is how I would ensure the faculty is outstanding. One idea is to take OFsted Judgements (teaching and Learning/Leadership and Management etc and deal with each one giving specifics of what I would implement. The other is to go with an overview of Leadership and how I would lead in general to get the best from my faculty.

Any advice would be wonderful.
    Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Your first idea is better - go with specifics rather than generalities.

3. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Thank you having re-read both ideas I agree.....I am presuming they want you to think outside the box and not simply spout all the obvious things that everyone does but actual processes to make a real difference! It is an internal job so I want to show them I really want to move things forward.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely. Anyone can real off the 'management-speak jargon' - as a head I'd want a candidate who could give me a real sense of tangible things they would do that would make a difference.
    I've appointed a number of AHTs in my time and the very best was one of four internal candidates (it was a new post, no new 'body slot') who was required to present on how they would improve the quality of teaching and learning. The one I appointed absolutely blew the panel away with 'real' ideas (which she really did implement and more besides), whilst the others chuntered on about 'team work', etc.
    Show that you're prepared to take risks and that you aren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers.

5. In my (very recent) appointment to AH I did the same thing. I had to give a 3 year plan for the role and developoemnt of the Sixth Form. I said exactly what I would do. The nice upshot of this is that I have a 3-year plan, written and apporved by my new Head, which I will, of course, have to adapt in reality but it is the bones.