1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

present for someone emigrating

Discussion in 'Personal' started by countrybumpkin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

I have a really good friend who is moving to Australia soon. I would like to get her, her daughters and husband a leaving present but I'm struggling to come up with ideas because it can't be something big because they have a lot to pack already.
    I did think jewellry for her but I've bought her jewellry for birthdays and xmas in the past.
    Her little girls are 2 and 3 and half.
    Appreciate any ideas because I'm totally stumped.

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

A picture or photo in a nice frame?

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ditto. Except our friend is a male and moving to NZ. Any ideas welcome. Sorry for jumping onto your thread CB but I didn't see the point in starting a new one.

4. countrybumpkin

No problem Kibosh.

I like the photo idea but not sure I have any good ones!

5. countrybumpkin

Is your friend going by himself. Maybe a box of stuff for the plane?

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

When I went for my gap year, one friend gave me a shoebox full of assorted going-away items, including among other things:
    - a piece of string "so that you can find your way back home"
    - chewing gum for the plane
    - Dioralyte (no explanation necessary!)
    - wine gums (ditto)
    Something very personalised like that needn't cost much but would be lovely. You could include things they won't be able to get overseas, or things you want them to have to remember you/UK by. Marmite, Cadbury's chocolate, Caerphilly cheese, pictures of you and your family, a small game, Top Trumps...

7. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

What about Trunki's for the little girls?
    I bought two for my daughters for our return flight to Spain as we had a very long wait between flights. They were really great as you fit loads of toys in for entertaining the kids on the flight and they can ride on them at the airport. Check that they don't already have them, as they are very popular. They are about 30 pounds each from Argos or John Lewis, but worth the money in my view, especially for a long flight.

8. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

How about a mini "Survival Pack" of British goodies that they would miss? Groceries and sweets and things that aren't generally available in Oz? You could tailor it to the kids or adults.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love things that help me hold fast to my German roots:
    German Coffee
    A subscription to a German Magazine
    Some German meats.

So, translating this into English:
    A box of Tea (Earl Grey or English Breakfast)
    A packet of Digestives. (Don't know the legal rules for sending a packet of bacon Down Under.....so went for something 'safe'!)
    A subscription to a magazine....Puzzle Magazine? Something related to a Special Interest?

10. Being in the opposite situation - having moved from Oz to here.... definitely give them the stuff they wont be able to get over there... each birthday and Christmas my Dad sends over a few things that I miss - all edible... but it was only after the experience of trying new things that I missed the old things if you know what I mean... A few little things to remember you (I love UK keyring or tshirt etc) by followed by a UK specific hamper in a couple of months (say Christmas) would be my ideal treat (put an IOU in the card to let them know its coming - something for them to look forward to as well....)

11. missmunchie

Maybe a travel jewellry box for her?

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thanks for being understanding.
    He is leaving Scotland to live with his g/f and her wee girl. Me and Mr Kibosh are going to miss him terribly and would like to give him something with a hint of humour/irony/tongue in cheek?
    Some of the suggestions so far have been very good, thank you.

13. missmunchie

Ooohh Scotland! You get these towels that are like kilts, I'll try and find a pic! I was going to get one for my husband when I was in Scotland visitng my family a few weeks ago.

14. missmunchie

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Now that is just bloddy perfect [​IMG] He will love it, he will use it and he will use it to show off with on NZ beaches and even in the house. Thank you so much. I would never have though of something like that, I didn't even know they existed.
    Sorted. [​IMG]

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You could give them some Durex!

[​IMG]

17. countrybumpkin

Thanks for these brilliant ideas xx

18. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Google image of their house in UK. Nice frame. Send it on after they've gone; not one for the plane!

19. countrybumpkin

Nice idea.