1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present for PGCE mentor

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SM_BSc, Dec 11, 2011.

1. I am close to finishing my first placement so want to get something for my mentor. I know she enjoys cooking so I got a couple of books. The total only came to around £23 which I think is reasonable but just wanting to check it isn't OTT? Also, should I leave the receipt in case she already has them? Thanks :)

2. I am close to finishing my first placement so want to get something for my mentor. I know she enjoys cooking so I got a couple of books. The total only came to around £23 which I think is reasonable but just wanting to check it isn't OTT? Also, should I leave the receipt in case she already has them? Thanks :)

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I generally get a bottle of wine from students...suits me perfectly.

4. I don't drink or buy alcohol which is why I didn't do that

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I spent £8 on my class teacher, and around £4 on my school based tutor, and a further £4 on a tin of chocs for all of the staff.
    I would think £23 is very generous for a student to give to one person, I've completely run out of student loan now but to be honest I wouldn't have spent much more than that as I didn't want to embarass them, they know I am struggling financially and I think it could have made them feel awkward.
    Putting the receipt might just look like you're trying to show them how much you spent, maybe you could just say "If you have them I can exchange them for you".

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

As a PM, I'm always touched by the generosity and thoughtfulness of the trainees - if you want to spend, and can afford to spend, that much, then do so. I wouldn't worry about receipts though - bookshops tend to allow swaps even without them.

7. Thanks for your replies :)

8. I'm giving them on the last day so I wouldn't be able to exchange them. I'm leaving a box of chocs for the other staff and a separate box for the techies because they are absolutely brill.

9. Very generous - a card & a note to say how much you appreciate their contribution to you career would suffice. Agree with the others - do not give the receipt.
    My last PGCE student bought a cake to share with the department & gave a little speech.
    When I was a PGCE student, I bought small boxes of expensive chocolates for each of the key people in the (3) schools I trained in. In one school I also bought Bic pencils (the click ones with erasers on the end) for pupils in the classes I taught - who were delighted and all had a 'sharp pencil & a rubber' for at least a day before they probably lost them.

10. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Any present is generous so I wouldn't worry. It's the thought that counts.
    Who cares if it might be over the top? There's no harm in leaving a positive impression at a school.

11. In the end I just gave the one (as I noticed she already had a similar book to the second one I was going to give). She really liked it so it was worth it.