1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present for niece's 16th?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rachelpaula008, Jan 18, 2016.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Please help. It's next week and I'm a bit lacking for ideas. My niece got a longer straw in life and doesn't want for stuff as others might. Having said that, she's a really gorgeous young lady. I'm biased, of course I'd say that.

I don't like the 'sweet 16' American thing, but I'd like to mark her 16th. She likes art and drama at school, but needs that push in core subjects. Again - she doesn't need 'stuff', but I was wondering if my pressie to her could be a revision kit. Sounds like a bad present though. My imagination is bereft so if you can help I would be grateful.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Quite a number of years ago I saw a year 11 pupil wearing a badge - I looked closely and it said:

'I'm legal now'

Would that do? :D

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Apparently experiences are all the rage now instead of "stuff". How about a special theatre or art trip?

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I reckon H Samuel probably does some nice silver plated condom cases that you could have engraved.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Get her a classy frame for her to put her degree certificate in? She might work harder at the core subjects then!

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

What about a pre-paid mini spa for during her revision period to ease away some of the stresses?

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My niece is a similar age and enjoys being taken clothes shopping. I give her an upper limit and let her loose in H&M. Your money goes a long way in there!

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How about some performance enhancing drugs? Plenty going cheap in the IAAF's January Sale.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In my day, you had to wait until you were twenty one before anyone thought you justified a special birthday. You wasn't even allowed a key to the door until then, so there was no rolling in in at three o'clock in the morning unless you were prepared to wake your parents up and suffer a thick ear. Kids today...

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would sort out the revision kit as well as a birthday present rather than instead of. I teach my niece's weakest subject so my sister has already booked me to spend a week of my Easter holiday with them doing some coaching.

11. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

I would say definitely not the revision kit! Agree that a theatre/art trip would be nice or spa/nail voucher.