1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present for kids, teacher and TA..? Ideas please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jun 21, 2011.

1. This is the last week of my final placement and I'm trying to decide what to get the kids, teacher and TA as a leaving present. Does anyone have any ideas please? The teacher is male and has recently become a dad so I thought maybe a nice photo frame or something but I live somewhere where there aren't many decent shops. I'm sure I'll be able to find something though, but does anyone have any suggestions please? I wanted to get some flowers for the TA but I'll have to get some delivered to my flat or get a taxi to the supermarket because I don't drive and it's too far to walk. For the kids, I thought books or chocolate or stationary. One child in the class has an allergy so it wouldn't be fair for everyone else to get chocolate. I've got books in the past for the classroom but the kids are moving up to year 6 soon (year 5 class!) so I don't think it would be worth it. It's nearly the end of the school year and it would just be giving the teacher some free books. I've given kids nice pencils before but I've looked in the shop and can't find any particularly nice ones. Any ideas please?

2. This is the last week of my final placement and I'm trying to decide what to get the kids, teacher and TA as a leaving present. Does anyone have any ideas please? The teacher is male and has recently become a dad so I thought maybe a nice photo frame or something but I live somewhere where there aren't many decent shops. I'm sure I'll be able to find something though, but does anyone have any suggestions please? I wanted to get some flowers for the TA but I'll have to get some delivered to my flat or get a taxi to the supermarket because I don't drive and it's too far to walk. For the kids, I thought books or chocolate or stationary. One child in the class has an allergy so it wouldn't be fair for everyone else to get chocolate. I've got books in the past for the classroom but the kids are moving up to year 6 soon (year 5 class!) so I don't think it would be worth it. It's nearly the end of the school year and it would just be giving the teacher some free books. I've given kids nice pencils before but I've looked in the shop and can't find any particularly nice ones. Any ideas please?

3. Get them both a bottle of wine and Haribou (generally okay for allergies) for the children. The wine will be much appreciated, as will your thoughtfulness. [​IMG]

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Agree with the wine (or beer) - always good.
    Children - pens or pencils. I once bought geometry sets - poor area, kids loved them. Look on Amazon, you might get them delivered to school - warn the office if you do!!

5. Any particular kind of wine? I am clueless when it comes to buying alcohol! I must be one of the only students in the country who is not interested in drinking alcohol.

6. Check whether they like red or white and then ask someone who drinks!! Sorry - I like a nice Spanish Rioja, or a Chardonnay (especially Wolf Blass). If you're really splashing out - a Chablis - but I think that is a little excessive for a student budget. Either way, it's the thought that counts and it will be enjoyed. Hope you have a great last week.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It is the thought that counts. I don't drink wine but live getting bottles as presents. It means I can just give them tomsomebidy else [​IMG]

8. What a lovely name, Milgod. I'd love to meet 'tomsomebidy' [​IMG]
    Only kidding!

9. Any other ideas for what to get the kids? I want to get them something better and more exciting than haribo. I thought that maybe we could make puppets in Friday's lesson because I could buy felt etc but perhaps that is a bit over the top. I wanted to teach something interesting in my final lesson and it sort of ties in with the Art work we've been doing. Maybe I'll just go for stationary. It's not worth splashing out too much money. I think I may still go for flowers and maybe a photo frame for the teacher or chocolates. I've had some disgusting wine before and have never bought wine so I'd probably end up buying something horrible!

10. I know what you mean about passing presents on Milgod! I know a lot of teachers who do that, e.g. at christmas time, passing on the presents from the kids. Might as well! [​IMG]

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say that chocolate or a pot plant is better than flowers. And easier to hide during the day.

Photoframe sounds nice, but tastes do vary. One you love, he (and his wife) may find hideous. Bottle of £10 red will never be dismissed.

For the children, some cushions for the reading corner, with instructions to take them to the new classroom, would be good. Or some books with the same instruction. Maybe wrap some books in a large box and attach a label that says 'to be opened by year 6 in September' or something similar. Then just get jelly beans (good for allergies and suitable for vegetarians) for Friday.

12. On teaching practice, I'd been doing directions for a few maths lessons, so decided (or, well, used the class teacher's idea) to create a sort of Easter Egg Hunt (it was just before Easter) for my final maths lesson.
    I had access to three other adults, so I split the class into four groups, and gave each adult a map with different points on it (all four groups had different points). The adult would give the children directions (e.g. go north three steps) and when they come to a point, there'd be a small bag with a handful of mini eggs in them. 8 children in a group = 8 points on the map, so each child would have a bag each.

They really seemed to enjoy it! :)

13. For the children, how about a board game (for wet play etc) to take with them into Y6.
    Wine or chocs I'd agree with!
    Also I recently got a mug (pretty thing from next I think) off a student filled with lots of different chocolate bars. I was very popular during break times that week [​IMG]

14. I just went for chocolates for the class teacher (a box of roses, which I know isn't a great present but it's a token), a plant for the TA and some biscuits for the staff. I have things for the kids too. I don't have a lot of money so I didn't really want to buy an expensive bottle of wine. I bought books last year on placement but I thought it was over the top. Is a box of roses a disappointing present? I know they don't cost too much. Cushions etc is a nice idea but the year 5 and 6 classrooms don't have reading corners.

15. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Am going to sound mean now...I think that a box of Roses compared to the other presents you mention doesn't really convey the thanks that maybe the class teacher deserves. Obviously I don't know how much of his/her time the teacher gave up to help you but when I consider how much time I've given to students this year I think I'd be more grateful for a thank you card with some thoughtful words rather than chocs.

16. Reddevil you took the words out of my mouth. If your teacher has invested time and effort into your proffesional development then knowing that you appreciated it is the main thing! :)

17. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Not if they're teetotal like me!

18. I have a card too with a thank you message in. They've missed a lot of my placement.

19. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Fair enough then.

20. I know it's not being very generous. I was going to buy some wine too but I decided against it in case I bought something the teacher didn't like. Everyone has their own specific tastes. The teacher knows I'm grateful for their help. I don't think what I give them as a gift is the most important thing, but I know I should've spent more. Too late now.