1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present for god-daughter's christening

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Does anyone have any good ideas? I'm to be god-mother at my gorgeous new nieces christening in march and have not a clue what to get her. For my nephew I got a silver christening certificate scroll then learned that church of Wales don't give certificates! (or at least not his church)

2. Milkandchalk

Does anyone have any good ideas? I'm to be god-mother at my gorgeous new nieces christening in march and have not a clue what to get her. For my nephew I got a silver christening certificate scroll then learned that church of Wales don't give certificates! (or at least not his church)

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

A cross necklace? That's what I did, so it must be right!

4. Silver bracelet engraved with her name?

5. Keepsake/memory box with things related to her and her birth date/christening date that Mum and Dad and others can add to .... or name a star/rose after her.

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

A savings account and a small standing order, to mature when she is 18

7. A charm bracelet was standard for aGodmother when I was christened, then you can give a charm each year. If you were super trendy, you could go for a pandora bracelet. The other things I got were a silver napkin ring, a pair of silver photo frames and a tankard?!?

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

A piece of limited edition Royal Doulton ware. My parents bought one for my eldest's birthday 18 years ago. She recently saw the same piece on sale for £350 !

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Moneybox (personal or just pretty)
    Silver braclet was norm when I was christened (Thomas sabo do nice charms IMO but then I'm not big on Pandora)
    A gift book (although more for the parents)- unless you get childs story book
    Personalised mug for when they're a bit older (notonhighstreet.com has some gorgeous gifts)
    Special doll/teddy they can keep? x

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I always used to suggest Premium Bonds but I am not sure if you can get them in denominations less than £100 nowadays although you could always club together with others for it. Is a lasting gift which may win them a nice sum. I still have the ones bought for me in 1962 and have added to them over the years.

11. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

12. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

The nice presents my children have had for Christening gifts have been: good story/fairytale/nursery rhyme books - much loved and used, plates, napkin rings, wooden chinese chequers, necklace, bible/bible stories/prayer book, special edition model cars. I have also done the charm bracelet for a niece so that by the time she's been old enough to wear it, there have been quite a few charms on it - but DO keep a list of what you've bought for that one!!

13. Celtic cross and chain (I'm guessing they might be Welsh)?
    http://www.welshjewellery.co.uk/store/p92905-silver-jewellery/pendants--necklaces--silver/celtic-flat-cross--chain--silver.cfm

14. Milkandchalk

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some shopping around and see what I can find.
    I love TES!

15. erp77

erp77 New commenter

16. Mine are both not christened but my sister is their inofficial Godmother and did a birth sampler for both of them. I guess it is a bit late for that and maybe you don't like cross-stitching anyway.They also both own a teeny weeny plot of land in Scotland.
    I am Godmother to my nephew and I started a savings account for him (which I gave my sister the whatever it is called, so that she could do whatever with it) and I also named a star after him (lol, but was cute) and I also had a tree planted for him in Scotland. It is quite biggish now!

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

A posh (but clearly bonkers) lady I used to know went to an antiques auction and bought a silver antique blood letting bowl as a christening gift!

18. Bonkers, yes!