1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present for a PGCE student

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by musicteacher2018, Jul 19, 2020.

1. musicteacher2018

musicteacher2018 New commenter

Hi everyone, my sister is starting a PGCE through a SCITT in September, and I want to get her a present of things to help her with the year. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could get for her? She's going to train in Secondary Music, and I want to get her something useful, rather than cheesy like the survival kits you can find online (with things like a mint, a safety pin etc).

armandine2 likes this.
  2. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

A clicker that you can use with PowerPoint to move slides on - not sure if that is the sort of thing that is needed for secondary music (are many PowerPoint presentations used?) but they are tremendously useful!

Also, if she is not given a planner, then a proper school planner is invaluable as well!

MrMedia and musicteacher2018 like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

A subscription to spotify.

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I love your sentiment - how to contribute is my first response too, when a young family member is embarking on some relatively advanced educational course.

Regarding the above - I did take ten strumming lessons from the shopkeeper I bought my guitar from. A strum pattern was bought alongside some basic chords before 150 quid was spent.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

A compartmentalised tool box filled with useful things. Board markers , refills, cellotape, blu tak, drawing pins, paper clips, rubber bands, stapler, hole punch, board rubber, pens pencils, ruler, rubber, sharpener, post it notes, calculator, coffee, longlife milk portions, tea bags, a cup, spoon, cupasoups, chewing gum, deoderant, comb, spare tights, sanpro, mirror, tissues, hair bands,

6. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

A big bottle of gin and some chocolate. Aspirin and gym membership. (Sign her up for the yoga.)

install likes this.
  7. musicteacher2018

I was thinking about a clicker, probably the same one I have, as it works really well. We definitely use powerpoints in secondary music!

8. musicteacher2018

That's a great idea, but she's on our family premium, so I think she's ok. Thanks though!

Thanks, it's a change of career for her, and I did my PGCE last year, so I thought it would be nice! That's a great idea, I'll keep it in mind!

I love this idea! If not for the PGCE, definitely for NQT when she'll have her own classroom and desk!

She would love the gin and chocolate!! Some great ideas here!

9. install

install Star commenter

A de stress ball will help and a ‘well being’ book.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

M&S vouchers which she can use to buy quick and tasty dinners when it's all too much. Or a new freezer so she can batch cook!

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

A proper leather music case.