1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Present advice needed

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by flickaz, Aug 8, 2011.

1. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

A friend of mine has just had her baby 6 weeks early so I'm not at all prepared on the present buying front. As well as getting something for baby I wanted to get something for her too. I was thinking some nice bath stuff but she's got really sensitive skin which has got worse since being pregnant so I don't want to get something that will make her flare up. What would you all suggest?

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

A friend of mine has just had her baby 6 weeks early so I'm not at all prepared on the present buying front. As well as getting something for baby I wanted to get something for her too. I was thinking some nice bath stuff but she's got really sensitive skin which has got worse since being pregnant so I don't want to get something that will make her flare up. What would you all suggest?

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

For baby:
    Nappy cake (available online and from some florists) usually includes some sleepsuits, toiletries for baby etc
    Packs of sleepsuits/ vests: always useful especially with a sicky baby/ nappy leaks!
    Packs of nappies if you know her preferred brand, you get through so many
    Subscription to Mother and Baby magazine or similar
    Try not to buy clothes that are season-specific, eg jumper dresses or summer rompers, as many babies are bigger/smaller than the 'norm' so will only fit those clothes in the 'wrong' season. My bahy is nearly 8 months but is still in 3-6 month clothes, many of which are winter clothes bought by well-meaning realtives who thought they would fit in late winter/spring, so haven't been used much. Baby shoes are also pointless!
    Photoshoot voucher
    Pretty blanket, always useful
    Toys, clothes, bibs or books in older sizes/ suitability
    Voucher for swimming classes etc
    Generic voucher eg tesco, M&S to be used for nappies, clothes, ready meals etc
    For mum:
    Home-cooked casserole or other frozen meals (cooking was low on priotities for a while after my baby was born, but you need good nutrition to keep yourself going, esp when breastfeeding)
    Voucher for a cleaner for half a day, or promise for you to come and blitz the house- luckily my mum came and cooked/ cleaned for a few days but this was so valuable to me. Of course it's not the be-all and end-all but after a week of not being able to do any cleaning- sore stitches, and an OH who doesn't see dirt, this was amazing!
    Lovely expensive handcream- as a mum you wash your hands 100 times a day and I got really dry skin so this would be a nice luxury item, Crabtree & Evelyn do some nice ones (but somewhere else might do better ones for sensitive skin).
    My friend made a hamper for her sister with lots of M&S finger food type things that you can eat on the go, some magazines to read whilst feeding for sanity, a 'do not disturb' sign for the front door, nail polish for mum to have 5 mins to herself and feel pretty, slippers to wear at home. It went down very well.
    My sister in law gave us Leisure Vouchers which can be used in many hotels, restaurants, spas etc to use when we felt we could leave LO and have some time to ourselves as a couple. Very thoughtful present (still unused though! Must make plans for this.)
    x

4. Hand cream would be lovely, if you can get a sensitive skin one. As kitten mittens says, you are constantly washign your hands!

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Thanks for the ideas! Looks like I'm going to have fun shopping!