1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Presence and enthusiasm

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by faisalatiq123, Jan 30, 2020.

1. faisalatiq123

faisalatiq123 New commenter

Good morning all.

I am doing my secondary PGCE and on my second placement. I do not seem to be making any progress with presence, enthusiasm and pace in the lesson. My mentor has a list the size of her arm about my areas for development which looks like a huge task for me. If anyone has any advice that would be great, I am new however, my mentor has already told me the students are already pining for her to come back and teach them. I understand this takes time, however they are a yr 7 group well behaved and I would like to make an impression on them to make it easier for me.

Any help/advice is welcome. Fes

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Concentrate on one thing at a time. As you develop them other things will start to improve as well anyway.

What AfL techniques have you learnt about so far? Using these should help you identify if you need to increase our decrease the pace as the lesson progresses.

Don't forget you can still seek help from your university tutor.

3. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

The presence thing comes with practice and once you twig that teachers are actually actors. Very serious suggestion: chat up the Drama department and ask one of the drama teachers to help you.

katykook and oHelzo like this.
  4. faisalatiq123

Thanks guys. I've learnt about questioning etc wrt AfL. Pace is something I struggle with too. I will identify the Drama teacher at my placement. Yes everyone keeps telling me teachers are really actors! My university tutor doesn't really give me any practical advice so I thought I'd ask the community on here who are on the front line and more experienced than me.

5. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Sounds like your mentor has a problem by making that comment about the students. She should be giving you praise too! Why are these three being bunched together? They are three completely different things!
    Teaching is like driving. You only really learn it after passing your test. It takes years to learn to spin so many plates at once!
    Pace is linked to knowledge of the class ability and how long the tasks will take. Not easy for an NQT! Give time limits on tasks. If you see children finished, give them more work.
    Enthusiasm- speak highly of your subject.
    Presence- Use big body language. But *take your time* when speaking. Don’t let children rush you. Speak very slowly, say only what is necessary, pause often for effect. Never speak longer than ten minutes to a class.
    All of these you will master when you complete your NQT. Most people think teachers need at least three years to really “get” the art of teaching!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Depends on the physical arrangement of the room, but try not to teach only from behind your desk. Get out and about, move around in the room if possible. What can happen is that the space behind your desk becomes your own territory but the rest of the room belongs to the pupils and a barrier develops.
    This is harder if you need access to the keyboard, or to your notes, or whatever - and this, too, can be solved if you have the right technology - and as in the long term you become more confident with the content and methodology of your lessons.

VeronicAmb, agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We always see issues when trainees switch school. What you describe is where the difference between schools exists on the informal behaviour management approaches.
    Each school sets a different line for when the informal system switches to the formal system. Kid tips on a chair? In a zero tolerance school it’s an immediate demerit. In a middle tolerance school, it’s a firm warning. In a leisurely school, it’s ignored.
    What you describe as 'presence' is the amount of low key, interventional methods required for a school's tolerance of low level behaviour issues. Proximity, praise, name drops, broken records and endless other methods are required in a greater or lesser degree. It suggests your new school is more tolerant and so you aren’t deploying enough on the ground early interventional stuff which creates a 'presence' and thus reduces the behaviour issues which are clogging up your lesson and dragging your pace down at the same time.

8. faisalatiq123

Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

I had another mentor meeting yesterday and my organisation skills were also flagged up as inadequate. Also giving praise and giving context to the lesson among other issues highlighted in my first post. I need to step up my game for after half term too.

Has anyone used pebblepad before? Its replaced the paper portfolio of lesson plans, observations etc. I have asked my university IT department for help, I am just getting PDF's to read through no real practical help which would help. There is an NQT here I have been advised to ask as she was training here last year who is approachable but I am not one to impose. Any advice on this would help. Thanks in advance everyone.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, PebblePad is fairly straight forward to use. Log in, open up the workbook or portfolio they’ve created for you in your assets area and then you can type stuff in or highlight some text and then click the link button in the edit bar to upload a new 'asset' (asset just means file).

10. faisalatiq123

Thanks MrMedia

11. faisalatiq123

Hi all.

I'm in a dilemma. My subject tutor at university, my professional mentor and subject mentor and me had a meeting yesterday. They all agreed that my teaching placement be collapsed at Easter. This is because they say I am not making any progress, my teaching is didactic and wooden and that students say the lessons I've taught are boring.

This is severely demoralising as I feel I have improved. I've been referred to occupational health and progress tutors at university and I don't really know where to go from here. I've been given option of suspending my studies however I wish to continue and see if I can get EC for my upcoming assignments.

In the mean time, has anyone experience of being in this same position or know someone who has? Any help or guidance is appreciated. I don't know where my next placement will be as I have a primary and alternative provision placement to complete too.

Thanks