1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prescribed timetable in primaries

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by coaltown1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

Has anyone had experience of a timetable, similar to a secondary school's timetable, working in primary?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Most primary schools I know have some sort of prescribed timetable-otherwise you will have everyone deciding to do PE on a Friday afternoon and fighting over the football field! We have whole school timetables for PE, ( to avoid clashes over the fields and hall) ICT ( to avoid fights over the IT suite and laptops) and music. But other subjects are fitted in generally by the class teacher or key stage leader.

bonxie likes this.
  3. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

That sort of thing is standard I agree. But how about a timetable where you teach numeracy for 50 minutes then literacy for 50 minutes followed by numeracy core skills after break then literacy core skills for 50 minutes etc every day, similar to secondary periods?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Yes, every class in my school has a timetable. We have ( in KS2) Guided reading for half an hour and then English for an hour, then break followed by maths for an hour. That's every day except Friday. Afternoons are more variable in that these are built around PE and ICT availability but will be the same for each class, each week. Friday mornings are Science for 90 minutes, followed by break then reading comprehension and spelling. After lunch is arithmetic, then a session selected by the teacher, then Golden Time followed by Collective worship.

But primary timetables tend to be rather more flexible than secondary, simply because one teacher teaches everything so swapping subjects around has little impact on anyone else! So, if I decide I need to do more English because we haven't finished, or more PE because the sun is shining ( or less because it's pouring down and I don't want to get wet,) then we can swap things around a bit!!

5. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

Thanks for that. I would think your timetable works better than 50 minute blocks. Are you in Scotland - I only ask because KS2 is an English term?

6. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

A primary school in Dunoon experimented with this approach and had good results. The case study used to be on the Education Scotland site