1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preschool routines

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by FionnDuff, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:10 PM.

1. FionnDuff

FionnDuff New commenter

Hi. I'm new to preschool teaching. We have one class of 25 in from 9-12:30. Can anyone share how they work the break time routine? Last year they took 4-5 children out at a time which left only one adult in a room with the other 20kids, this normally lasted a full hour and children were also reluctant to leave play when asked which meant they didn't eat anything. All suggestions greatly appreciated

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We all sit together to have milk and snack, then go out to playtime with reception and KS1.
    We've tidied up just before and they all know it's snack time next.

FionnDuff likes this.
  3. May2

May2 Established commenter

I'm not sure if this is a private pre school or a nursery class in a school but can you set up a snack area in the main room and let them be more independent in getting their own snack when they want it rather than have the other member of staff missing for an hour. Could you have a parent helper rota so you have an extra adult supporting either the snack or other activities? Or as Ctb says all have snack at the same time.

4. FionnDuff

FionnDuff New commenter

It's a nursery class in a school but we are currently on a different site to the primary school. We will all be moving to a new site eventually. They tried the parent rota but some years were more successful than others with parents having other commitments, the majority are working parents this year so I can't see that working. I was considering doing snack all together but worrying about managing it. But I suppose with anything, once they are used to it, it will work fine. Thanks so much for the advice ☺️

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you have space in you main room, I'd consider going for a cafe style free flow snack. Yes you need to put in a lot of effort at the start getting children to be independent but it pays off later on. It would still need an adult to support it but they would be in the same room.

If you can for all together snack, you just need to work out where this will happen, who will prepare it etc. I've done both ways in school nurseries, where you have the 13 to1 ratio, and some years one way has worked better than the other.