1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

preschool phonics, help dont know where to start

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, Jan 29, 2012.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

You don't say what age your children are but around us pre school are only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 and if that is the case a bit early for Jolly Phonics anyway. I would concentrate on lots of rhymes, action rhymes and stories and their speaking and listening skills. There are lots of fun activities in Phase one of Letters and Sounds however these are more for children of 3 1/2 + but some things like listening walks and body sounds etc might be useful. They need to be really tuned in to listening carefully first. However beginning to hear the sound at the beginning of their name and begin to recognise that the letter makes that sound can be encouraged when finding their name on a coat peg and always when modelling the writing of their name on a picture.
    If you have children up to school age then Phase One Letters and Sounds (google it) should be useful.

2. thank you for your help my preschool children age from 3 to school age so my older ones will be a month off being 5 when they leave me, but i do have a child at the moment who is 4 and 4 months and can tell you any letteer from alphabet and is starting to but letters together to spell words like cat, hat, mat, she can spell mummy daddy and her name from memory so i think she needs challenging more
    thanks i will google it now

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Thanks for the great ideas, and links very usefull

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

Have you received any phonics training recently? If not it might be a good idea to access a phonics training course. I have found that quite a few children coming into my Reception class have been taught the phonemes (letter sounds) in their nurseries/pre-schools incorrectly, probably due to a lack of training available for pre-school staff.
    If you will be teaching the phonemes, it is important to get the pronunciation correct. Their are quite a few phonics scheme websites as well as phonics game sites such as phonicsplay and lettersandsounds which demonstrate the correct pronunciation.
    Teaching oral blending and segmenting on a daily basis will greatly benefit all children, even before they know their letters. I spent a long time doing this with my class at the beginning of the school year and it really advanced their progress in reading.