1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preschool Internal Moderation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mac64, May 24, 2019.

1. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Hello. It is has been a very long time since I have logged in but would appreciate any experiences of internal moderation within a preschool. I am hoping to set up a system for our nursery. So far I have only information relating to local authority moderation or the ELGs and EYFS Profile. I am really trying to focus on each of us supporting each other within our own setting. I took part in a successful local authority moderation last summer and this led to thinking about internal moderation as a team to support us rather focus on the local authority or OFSTED. If anyone could provide any links I could read/research this would be appreciated (our nursery caters for 10 months to 5 years old). Thank you

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there.
    We use exactly the same moderation process with our nurseries that we use for our EYFSP school moderation. ie peer discussion of assessment based on what you know about your children so that you get a consensus about what eg 30to50 speaking looks like. This could be a small part of every team meeting so at each meeting a couple of staff bring a child to discuss.
    Once you are comfortable doing this, it's good to link with other settings to get that agreement across the area.
    I always recommend you start with the characteristics because if you do that you get a good picture of the child that will support your other assessments.
    Doing this regularly builds staff confidence to talk about their children's learning and reassures them that their assessments are accurate.

3. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Thank you. Good starting points.